Broody Broad Breasted Trukey!

pics we want pics
big_smile.png

Tom I know what you mean by people not knowing what breed they have. I just had someone here locally post on the free online classifieds that they have a white orpington hen. It would be a 1.5 hour drive for me to pick her up, but if it is really a white orp I was interested. They are not available around here at all. So when I asked him where he got it he said he got it at the feed store. Which means there is no way she is a white orpington
sad.png
. Ahwell... better luck next time. I am not driving 1.5 hours for a mystery white.

Jeanine

She is sitting her nest. I think there are about eight eggs underneath her. We had the three turkeys penned together. I set up two nesting places and hoped that each bird would pick a separate nest. But the unfertilised brown one started laying in the fertilised blacks nest. I can not tell their eggs apart. So half of the eggs could be unfertile. Also it is still rather cold here in Utah. They eggs are in a tech-foil insulated hoop coop, I hope that means they did not get too cold. My expectations are low, but I do hope we get at least one poult. I have put a bowl of food and water in the little hut where she can reach it from her nest.

Jeanine

i have royal palm gobbler and a hen, which the hen is being really broody right now so i have to kick her out of her nest every couple hours a day or she will starve herself. She sits on her eggs all day long all night long if the bob doesnt bother her. N i have two chickens in the same coop as the two turkeys and one started to lay eggs, and she has been sitting on turkey eggs, and vica versa the turkey has been sitting on her egg. so i think it is a motherly nature thing, I figure ill let this happen to see what will happen next. seems like one egg has a small hole in it but the soft skin is still there. so im not sure if that one will hatch. Im doing the hatching without an incubator to see if anything happens. i havent numbered the eggs but maybe i will tomorrow that way i know how many hatched and how many didnt. also when bob comes in the hen next and she happens to sit on the eggs sometimes they break and she eats the broken ones. im scared she will eat her babbies

I am so mad at my duck!!! My jealous duck got in and ate three of the eggs. But worse then that the five remaining eggs are now covered in egg gunk. I don't think they can be cleaned easily at all. Does this mean they will go bad? The egg crust is all over them, so I wonder if the eggs can even breath. I have had two fences between her and the duck but somehow he got past both. DARN DUCK! I think he deserves the stew pot!

caddyeldorado I would be surprised if she ate the poults. I think she is just cleaning up in her way. Should be interesting to hear how everything turns out for your.

Jeanine

Thanks for the Reply. With 30++ turkeys I am sure you would know. I will go back to looking at hatching eggs then. My DH thought maybe the turkey wont set right on hatching eggs. But she is so broody, I have allot of faith in her.

Jeanine
Jeanine
I have a BBB hen and a Bourbon tom. My hen lays about ten eggs and then goes broody. The problem is that her breast are so wide that if there are more than two eggs in the nest, somehow they end up squashed. I have the pair in their own pen separated from my chickens, and she has a section for her nest. Early this year I incubated a couple of her eggs, only one hatched, I snuck the baby under her at night, the next morning I checked on him and I found him like a pancake.
If the eggs are fertile, I would recommend to incubate them and maybe she will care for them after they are born.

Back
Top Bottom