Broody Button MALE

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Loddie Da, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    [​IMG]

My Male Button has gone broody on chicks...Has this happened to anyone else?

I put him in the brooder for a minute as I was setting up the hospital cage (He hurt one of his toes, ended up having to be amputated but he is fine now) & he just started acting like a Broody...I ended up leaving him in there & it's been a better part of a week now & he's still playing Daddy.

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Nice. My Texas A&M coturnix makes nests and will call the ladies over and stand watch while they lay. Then he makes threatening noises when I reach under him to take them.

3. FitzD

FitzD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Chicago
    I hatched out 2 babies on my homemade incubator and put them in with the female. She wanted nothing to do with them. Then I took her out and left them with the male. He let them cuddle under him and acted broody with them until they didn't fit under him anymore. The female just hatched 3 on her own 2 days ago and he helps her take care of them. He is a good father :)
    This is him and the female.
    [​IMG]

4. lori stetson

lori stetson Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA

5. lori stetson

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    Sorry hit the wrong button. [email protected] Just found her dead. Male is faithfully sitting on 5 eggs so will give him another week to set just in case. I have a single male in another aviary. Can they house together if there's no female once he stops sitting?

6. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Sorry to hear about your hen.

In one of my cages I have 3 males & one grumpy misogynistic female there's thankfully no feather damage on the hen so she'll stay with them.

So if you go about introduction carefully it definitely can work. I'd keep them in a cage next to each other at first until they are used to each other.

I personally have never had a problem housing solo Quail of either gender together, mine always seem happy their no longer alone, but your mileage may vary.

7. lori stetson

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    Thanks, I'll try it slowly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by