broody button quail roo

98173_painting_and_quail_027.jpg

You can see the little head peeking out !
Two more hatched today!!!!!

that is pretty awesome, best way i have seen to catch them in the act is to setup a cam(cell phones work pretty well for this) and walk away, since they are "scared" of you he is protecting them and they won't come out when you come around.

Hi guys & gals, one more just hatched 30 mins ago.. now I have 7 of them (should I name them Days of the Week?) but I can see two more eggs have cracks on them...Papa Quail is an excellent parent! I can tell he is very tired... he's been dozing off and can barely keep his eyes open, but jumps when we got too close to try to get a look. Very protective still. I tried to get a small water dish out with several marbles in it and since Pa quail never seen them before he got ultra defensive. So I took it out and hope he will teach the little ones to drink from the drinker fountain (very small opening so they shouldn't fall into it and drown)

Mama quail is still in time out. Ma and Pa has been calling each other almost nonstop all day... and night.

Not sure if it is safe to let Ma quail tog go back to yet. Might try tomorrow and closely observe....

This is the pic of Pa quail showing the babies to eat. Sorry about the dark pic, was tryin' to avoid using the flash to scare them

98173_quail_day_2_003.jpg

That's just too adorable!!!
big_smile.png
Hope papa quail stops being so defensive soon, so you can get some more really good pics. He did a good job to get seven of them to hatch!! How many eggs were there? Good luck with your new baby quail!
jumpy.gif
smile.png

OMG this is the cutest! I decided to put Mom Quail back since the nonstop calling are really reminding us of those baby crying days.. anyways we watched her closedly and she didn't attack the chicks. Even showed a couple of them to take a drink from the fountain. And by lunch time, both parents are brooding the chicks together! This is a steadier pic of them with a little head peaking out. Almost other pics are too blurry.. I guess I need a better camera.
98173_quail_day_3_007.jpg

Still 7 chicks so far, I can see a couple more are cracking but the prospect don't look very good for them. They've been looking like this for almost the whole day.
Now I think Ma quail never quite stopped laying eggs since she didn't go broody, I think I've got about 12-14 eggs but I lost count since all the wood shavings are making counting a bit difficult.

Back
Top Bottom