Broody button quail

Ryann M

Hatching
Sep 30, 2020
I'm excited to share that one of my button quail is laying on eggs. I decided to move her and her mating partner plus eggs to a separate enclosure. I made sure to wear gloves when doing this because I read that touching the eggs could prevent the female from laying on them. I decided to move the birds inside because we are having a heatwave this week, and I want the chicks to hatch in a safe environment (the main enclosure is outside). They have been in their new enclosure for about an hour or so and the female is not laying on the eggs. Should I give her more time? Do you think she will lay on the eggs again? Should I move them back to the main enclosure and hope the eggs survive the heatwave? I really hope I didn't ruin the chance of her hatching eggs. Any advice is appreciated. thank you!

Moving a broody bird can break the broody cycle. Give her a little more time, but otherwise you may want to take these eggs away and see if she goes broody on a new set. Do you have an incubator available to finish hatching these eggs with?

Moving a broody bird can break the broody cycle. Give her a little more time, but otherwise you may want to take these eggs away and see if she goes broody on a new set. Do you have an incubator available to finish hatching these eggs with?
I don't have an incubator but I was considering buying to hatch these eggs. It's going to be 105 today so I was worried the eggs would die in the heat if I left them in the main coop. Maybe I should just put them back out and see how it goes

The person I got the quail from also recommended moving the pair so that the eggs could hatch safely...

Back
Top Bottom