• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mckennas poultry

Songster
Apr 24, 2018
hey, I wanted to make an online ‘diary’ on my broody Rhode Island Red hen
So right now I have her on dummy eggs in a small chicken coop
There is hatching eggs on the way ( 3 lemon Pyle Brahma, 2 dark brahma and 1 blue buff Brahma)
They are set to come next Tuesday. I will keep yous posted on the whole process.
Feel free to share your advice, information

I will be adding 4 of my own flocks eggs too, but they will be barnyard mixes :jumpy :thumbsup

330F8344-3F0F-4914-8BAF-34A2032C36A7.jpeg
34FCE4E8-8466-45FB-9339-0A81AED9B94B.jpeg 197396CA-8002-4841-BBA9-1524821B67E8.jpeg Getting set, she’s on golf balls, eggs arrive on Tuesday, I’m also going to be adding some of my own flocks eggs

06871A36-CF63-4D62-BB43-479E98C001AB.jpeg B3B04AC1-3507-4E28-BD20-E88DBA2B0CF6.jpeg
hey, so I wanted to create a thread to post about my broody hen and the journey to chicks, so the other day I went out to collect the eggs. I had been thinking about getting an incubator because my hens have never gone broody before as my broody breeds have only started laying and my older hens are all layers, so I opened up the coop to find my 8 month old Rhode Island Red all puffed up sitting on a nest.
I then moved her to my broody coop as she is on the bottom of the pecking order and I was worried that a hen would go in and scare her off. So I sat her in the broody coop for the night and made some arrangements.

I have ordered 6 brahma eggs online (3 lemon Pyle, 2 dark Brahma and 1 blue buff Brahma) they are set to arrive on Tuesday, I will also be adding 6 of my own hens eggs so all together she’ll be sitting on 12 eggs.
I will be keeping yous posted on this

Here’s a pick of her on her nest, she’s sitting on golf balls

Following am hatching with a first time.
She just hatched one now we will wait and see for the rest.She is very likely to hatch s good hatch
Following as well. I have a new nest I found under my porch, with 32 eggs and mama. We had found the nest about 10 days ago, and she has been sitting the whole time. So we aren't sure when her nest will hatch. Our question, for hopefully more knowledgeable folks will see these posts: Should we move her now into an isolated "chick hut & corner" we have set for her, and move the eggs into the nesting box, and see what happens next? Or should we wait until they hatch? We just started chickens last summer, so we are scared and nervous new parents with tons of questions. Thank goodness for BYC!!

Definitely separate her,I Seperate mine everytime,chicks should never be raised within the flock unsupervised.Seperate her at night.

Definitely separate her,I Seperate mine everytime,chicks should never be raised within the flock unsupervised.Seperate her at night.
Yes, we plan to separate her, and am posting pics. But we aren't sure if we should move her & eggs now or after hatching. I'm thinking we ought to now to make it easier on us, but don't know if that will upset the whole works for her. A first time mommy for her. These are pics of current place, and her new chick hut...

Yes, we plan to separate her, and am posting pics. But we aren't sure if we should move her & eggs now or after hatching. I'm thinking we ought to now to make it easier on us, but don't know if that will upset the whole works for her. A first time mommy for her. These are pics of current place, and her new chick hut...

I moved my broody the first second I saw her sitting on the nest, I took her into the brooder and put golf balls beside her so she could tuck them in herself. The next day she was a bit more active but she finally settled down to her golf balls again that evening, if I were you I would wait till they hatch because you don’t know how long she’s been there and moving 32 eggs with a broody hen would be hard work. If you’re confident enough that she will stay on those eggs then you can move her but if you are worried about her quitting on them then I would wait till they hatch, 32 eggs is a lot for a hen, is she sitting comfortably on them ? You could start again either, by putting her in a brooder with fresh eggs. So you know when they are going to hatch

Back
Top Bottom