Broody chicken getting pecked to point of bleeding

lucyq22

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a broody Salmon Favorelle that is getting hen pecked to the point of being completely bald on her back. I didn't worry about a few missing feathers when the behavior started, but now she is basically bald under her wings and has several bloody spots where the feathers have been plucked out too close to her skin. I'm not sure how to: A) Confirm this is what is happening while I'm not watching B) Make it stop C) How I should treat her wounds. A couple of my other ladies have small bald patches right in front of their tails (on their backs), but she is the only one with her whole back bare. My husband gave her a bath this afternoon and I tested the blood spots with septic gel... but I'm not sure what to do now. Please help! Or ask me questions so I can give you enough info to help me! Thanks :)

I have a broody Salmon Favorelle that is getting hen pecked to the point of being completely bald on her back. I didn't worry about a few missing feathers when the behavior started, but now she is basically bald under her wings and has several bloody spots where the feathers have been plucked out too close to her skin. I'm not sure how to: A) Confirm this is what is happening while I'm not watching B) Make it stop C) How I should treat her wounds. A couple of my other ladies have small bald patches right in front of their tails (on their backs), but she is the only one with her whole back bare. My husband gave her a bath this afternoon and I tested the blood spots with septic gel... but I'm not sure what to do now. Please help! Or ask me questions so I can give you enough info to help me! Thanks
smile.png
Have you seen her actually get pecked or is that an assumption.
You can bandage the wounds after cleaning them out and even apply betadine or anti bacterial creams.

I would separate her for a little while and possibly give her a nest.

Is she hatching eggs, or generally broody

Back
Top Bottom