Broody chicken missing eggs

chainedspider

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
We have a brooder who we gave five eggs to so they could possibly hatch. This is our first time doing this. We wrote numbers on the eggs so that if another chicken were to lay an egg in the box, we'd know which ones were which and remove the ones we didn't want hatched. This has been going well until today. When I fed them lunch (brooder was out of the box eating) I noticed 9 eggs in total in her box. As I was removing the non-numbered eggs, I noticed that I removed 6 in total, leaving three in the box. I double checked and I was correct. Two of my numbered eggs were missing.

The coop is sealed tight at night and only open during the day time. The run is fenced in in with game fencing and chicken wire so no big predators can come in. The run is also covered by netting so no birds can get in. Not sure what it could be getting in. We do have mice and garter snakes, but can't see how they could get in and out without the chickens catching on to them (we found the carcass of a mouse already in the run a few days ago so know the hens and rooster will catch them).

Any thoughts on what could be doing this?

We have a brooder who we gave five eggs to so they could possibly hatch. This is our first time doing this. We wrote numbers on the eggs so that if another chicken were to lay an egg in the box, we'd know which ones were which and remove the ones we didn't want hatched. This has been going well until today. When I fed them lunch (brooder was out of the box eating) I noticed 9 eggs in total in her box. As I was removing the non-numbered eggs, I noticed that I removed 6 in total, leaving three in the box. I double checked and I was correct. Two of my numbered eggs were missing.

The coop is sealed tight at night and only open during the day time. The run is fenced in in with game fencing and chicken wire so no big predators can come in. The run is also covered by netting so no birds can get in. Not sure what it could be getting in. We do have mice and garter snakes, but can't see how they could get in and out without the chickens catching on to them (we found the carcass of a mouse already in the run a few days ago so know the hens and rooster will catch them).

Any thoughts on what could be doing this?

Sit down and take a few deep breaths.... I suspect that you have a no-shoulders (snake) eating your hen fruits.

Back
Top Bottom