Broody chicken= New Mom

Update... Mom and chicks are fantastic. they are just 2 months old and she had done everything. she has taught them how to jump up, down, eat, forage for food, get up on the roost,. they know how to get into and out of the coop ....how to be a good chicken. She's such a good mom, I want her to mother more . question... After these babies... so to speak "leave the nest" do I have to wait for her to become broody again (if they even do that after being a mom) or can I just introduce more chicks? any one have experience in this area?

Update... Mom and chicks are fantastic. they are just 2 months old and she had done everything. she has taught them how to jump up, down, eat, forage for food, get up on the roost,. they know how to get into and out of the coop ....how to be a good chicken.
Nice!
She's such a good mom, I want her to mother more . question... After these babies... so to speak "leave the nest" do I have to wait for her to become broody again (if they even do that after being a mom) or can I just introduce more chicks? any one have experience in this area?
Never give new chicks to a hen. She might peck them very hard. Introducing chicks into an established flock needs to be done carefully (look into the article section).

If the mother abandoned her chicks (this is normal around 6-10 weeks old) she wil start laying again. If she regained her strength and the hen gets broody for the second time this year you can let her sit a second time.

Make sure you have enough space for more chicks. Maybe you need to enlarge the coop and run first? A broody needs space /be able to get away from the others to sit peacefully and undisturbed. And after the hatch the mother and chicks need space without getting bothered by the older chicks and rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom