Broody chicken= New Mom

gwright6

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Hi I have two broody hens. I have tried every thing recommended to break this then read extensively that it is hormonal and the hens can't control the urge. So with that being said I decided to add to the flock and let the moms be moms... I have 16 nesting boxes a couple of feet off the ground that they have taken up residence in . I have order new baby chicks.. en route right now. All of the recommendations of introducing the chicks to the new mom is under the cover of darkness, swapping out eggs for live chicks. My problem is that the nesting boxes that they have dominated as stated, are 2 feet off the ground. Should I just put them in a designated area set up for a safe haven that I have established for them and bring the moms in to take to them. I have 15 chicks coming. I'm lost as to how I introduce the babies to the moms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Put the chicks under the hens in the evening and put something over the nest boxes so that the chicks can't fall out. Check on things early in the morning, and if chicks and hens have bonded then move them to the 'safe haven'. First time mothers for sure will need time to bond to the chicks.

@sourland is exactly right about the introduction.

After they are introduced, I recommend giving each family their own area. Shipped chicks can have trouble bonding with a hen and you don’t want them to get confused and get rejected, or for the hens to fight over them, which has happened in my flock.

Ok ladies tonight is the night... I am gonna make 2 broody's MOM...... got my cute little chicks today and can't wait until tonight. I am going to do as your recommended and put them in the boxes with a cover to keep them in and then see what happens.... I will post updates. If we have any issues I become the new MOM.

Following this experiment!! I think we are gonna try the same thing. I am confused about food once “the family” separates. How did it go??

Put the chicks under the hens in the evening and put something over the nest boxes so that the chicks can't fall out. Check on things early in the morning, and if chicks and hens have bonded then move them to the 'safe haven'. First time mothers for sure will need time to bond to the chicks.
How high is the risk of chicks dying if they don’t bond right away? Like if they’re rejected will she kill them or just kick them out from under her? Mine are 2 days old for me and picked them up at a farm store so probably more like 4-5??.

How high is the risk of chicks dying if they don’t bond right away? Like if they’re rejected will she kill them or just kick them out from under her? Mine are 2 days old for me and picked them up at a farm store so probably more like 4-5??.
Depend on your temperatures.

If they’ve been under a heat lamp they will have more trouble seeing her as the heater. They will go out for food and water and not come back when she calls them. They can get chilled and die pretty easily. You’ll need to be checking on them constantly until you are sure the chicks and mom know what’s what.

I have not had good luck bonding feed store chicks with a mama hen.

Hi I have two broody hens. I have tried every thing recommended to break this then read extensively that it is hormonal and the hens can't control the urge. So with that being said I decided to add to the flock and let the moms be moms... I have 16 nesting boxes a couple of feet off the ground that they have taken up residence in . I have order new baby chicks.. en route right now. All of the recommendations of introducing the chicks to the new mom is under the cover of darkness, swapping out eggs for live chicks. My problem is that the nesting boxes that they have dominated as stated, are 2 feet off the ground. Should I just put them in a designated area set up for a safe haven that I have established for them and bring the moms in to take to them. I have 15 chicks coming. I'm lost as to how I introduce the babies to the moms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

so I did exactly what the one person suggested. I let the two hens lay on eggs throughout the day. I had gotten the chicks that day so I took chick food mixed with water, heat lamp and water... they were in the area all day. When you get the chicks you dip their little beaks into the water and food and they learn how to eat and drink. So in the evening, 2 hours after I closed up the coop ( I have 95 chickens) and everyone was snoring. I went into the nesting room, removed the eggs from under the one hen. Put 7 of chicks under her . Did the same with the second Hen. closed everything up and left. In the AM I went in, opened up the nesting boxes and both hens were there. so I took the one hen out and put her in a secured area that I had created for her and her babies. this area had food for her, food for the babies and water, heat lamp, nesting pad, etc. All went well with the 7 chicks and mom. Went back for the second hen and she immediately started pecking at the babies and distanced herself from them when i put them all in the same environment that I had created for the first hen. So... within 10 second she was not gonna be a mom. I took those babies and put them under the other hen. She accepted all of the babies and she is happy as a lark. I will take a pic in the AM and upload for you to see. Meanwhile the other broody hen is back in the nesting box sitting on nothing. Her babies have totally bonded with the other mom.

so I did exactly what the one person suggested. I let the two hens lay on eggs throughout the day. I had gotten the chicks that day so I took chick food mixed with water, heat lamp and water... they were in the area all day. When you get the chicks you dip their little beaks into the water and food and they learn how to eat and drink. So in the evening, 2 hours after I closed up the coop ( I have 95 chickens) and everyone was snoring. I went into the nesting room, removed the eggs from under the one hen. Put 7 of chicks under her . Did the same with the second Hen. closed everything up and left. In the AM I went in, opened up the nesting boxes and both hens were there. so I took the one hen out and put her in a secured area that I had created for her and her babies. this area had food for her, food for the babies and water, heat lamp, nesting pad, etc. All went well with the 7 chicks and mom. Went back for the second hen and she immediately started pecking at the babies and distanced herself from them when i put them all in the same environment that I had created for the first hen. So... within 10 second she was not gonna be a mom. I took those babies and put them under the other hen. She accepted all of the babies and she is happy as a lark. I will take a pic in the AM and upload for you to see. Meanwhile the other broody hen is back in the nesting box sitting on nothing. Her babies have totally bonded with the other mom.
That's good that at least one mom accepted the chicks, I've read it can go either way
And maybe mama 2 needed to sit longer to make her think she actually hatched them? Chickens do chicken best lol

Here mid March I'll have eggs hatching under our Mama for the second time yay baby chicks! (I even have some inside haha)

Back
Top Bottom