Mom died by Hawk, left me nine orphan babies

So I had this Mama hen. Her name was Fauna who just hatched nine little chicks three days ago, unfortunately for her, she was attacked by a hawk early this morning. When I went outside, she was already gone and the babies were scattered underneath my porch and some in bushes, but thankfully, I found all of her chicks. They were scared, but unharmed, they were miracle birds already when she managed to hatch all of them in below freezing weather but now they managed to survive a hawk attack too. So I guess my question is how do I take care of nine little chicks? They keep peeping for their mom. I was wondering if I could make another bird a Mama somehow? I have one bird that’s already broody and sitting on the nest, but when I tried to introduce her to the chicks she pecked at them so I pulled her away. I also have another mama bird that just hatched a baby two months ago but I’m wondering if that’s too long to try and introduce her to new chicks now when she’s almost finished raising her other baby? She’s a great mom but I don’t know if she’ll take care of birds that aren’t hers? if anybody has some opinions/suggestions please let me know. Thank you!
Try slipping the chicks under brooding hens at night when they are sleeping. When the morning comes they think they hatched them. Best to your chickens 🐣 !

My post isn't about taking care of the chicks, but to keep the others safe from hawks. We had lost a couple of hens to hawks, too. Then I found that they have certain times of hunting. Their main hunting time is 12 noon to 3pm. We have an enclosed run at the end of our coop which protects them during the day, then we let them out in the open after 3pm. We've never lost another hen to hawks since then...

Oh, this is so sad and I'm sorry for your loss. We also had a hen named Fauna who we lost to a hawk - she was a delightful little hen and we miss her!

I do think trying the broody hen with the babies might work. I would test it out in the morning or some time during the day when you have time to watch them for a while. I tend to think it will be clear pretty early on if it's working or not. Hopefully it will, but if not, you can put them in a pack and play with a heat lamp, food and water and raise them as if you had purchased them as chicks. I've raised many that way and they almost always do okay. When they are pullets you can slowly integrate them into the flock.

Good luck and, again, sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much, unfortunately, she didn’t take to the little chicks. They were fine when I was with them but when I was away for about five minutes and came back, all the chicks were up in the corner of the room while ginger was on the other side with her baby under her.

My post isn't about taking care of the chicks, but to keep the others safe from hawks. We had lost a couple of hens to hawks, too. Then I found that they have certain times of hunting. Their main hunting time is 12 noon to 3pm. We have an enclosed run at the end of our coop which protects them during the day, then we let them out in the open after 3pm. We've never lost another hen to hawks since then...
Thank you that is very helpful information. I lost my little Fauna a little before noon, around 11:15-11:30

Try slipping the chicks under brooding hens at night when they are sleeping. When the morning comes they think they hatched them. Best to your chickens 🐣 !
That’s a good idea too, I did try to get one of my broody hens to take to the little chicks, but she kept on pecking them, but I did it during the daytime. I don’t know if it’ll work now since they’re about a week old but I’ll definitely give it a try! The only problem is, there’s so many chicks (9 of them), and my broody hen is a very small small bantam (probably about 2 pounds or less)

That’s a good idea too, I did try to get one of my broody hens to take to the little chicks, but she kept on pecking them, but I did it during the daytime. I don’t know if it’ll work now since they’re about a week old but I’ll definitely give it a try! The only problem is, there’s so many chicks (9 of them), and my broody hen is a very small small bantam (probably about 2 pounds or less)
Hope you can figure something out and all the chicks make it! Sorry about your little hen that must have been really hard!

I'm sorry for your loss and hope the chicks make it. Youtube has some great videos on raising baby chicks that would help you a lot.Chicks have to stay very warm the first 10 days

So I had this Mama hen. Her name was Fauna who just hatched nine little chicks three days ago, unfortunately for her, she was attacked by a hawk early this morning. When I went outside, she was already gone and the babies were scattered underneath my porch and some in bushes, but thankfully, I found all of her chicks. They were scared, but unharmed, they were miracle birds already when she managed to hatch all of them in below freezing weather but now they managed to survive a hawk attack too. So I guess my question is how do I take care of nine little chicks? They keep peeping for their mom. I was wondering if I could make another bird a Mama somehow? I have one bird that’s already broody and sitting on the nest, but when I tried to introduce her to the chicks she pecked at them so I pulled her away. I also have another mama bird that just hatched a baby two months ago but I’m wondering if that’s too long to try and introduce her to new chicks now when she’s almost finished raising her other baby? She’s a great mom but I don’t know if she’ll take care of birds that aren’t hers? if anybody has some opinions/suggestions please let me know. Thank you!
TSC has a chick starter kit that isn't too expensive. It has the waterer, feeder, and a lamp. They also have black totes with lids. I cut the center out of the lid and replaced it with wire with the lamp hanging above (not on it). Throw you some bedding in and you have your brooder. I've raised many chicks this way.

Back
Top Bottom