Broody chicken not sitting on all the eggs properly

zivaC

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Hi there,

I have a 3 year old Isa brown x white leghorn that’s decided she wants to become a mum and has thus gone broody, so we bought her a dozen fertilised eggs to sit on. She’s quite committed to sitting on the eggs, however, whenever I check on her I noticed that a few of the eggs aren’t actually under her and I worry that they’re not getting the warmth they should be. I tried to push some of the eggs back under her, but she doesn’t seem to be able to do it herself! I’m just worried they’re not all going to hatch properly. Is this normal? Should I remove some of the eggs? Perhaps there are too many for her handle?
It’s only been 1 day since she sat on the fertilised eggs.

I’d appreciate if someone could give me some advice! Thank you.

How many eggs are under her? Also, Isa Browns and Leghorns are both breeds that do not often brood chicks so she may not feel the urge, or she will do a bad job.

I saw she has a dozen. That is quite fine. It may be too much as Isa Browns ans leghorns arent that big. Also, hens are able to tell if an egg is fertile or not, so maybe cause it’s early days, she thinks many aren’t fertile when they probably are!

I saw she has a dozen. That is quite fine. It may be too much as Isa Browns ans leghorns arent that big. Also, hens are able to tell if an egg is fertile or not, so maybe cause it’s early days, she thinks many aren’t fertile when they probably are!

Thanks for your reply! Yes she is sitting on a dozen eggs. Should I remove some eggs in that case? It’s only been a day thus far. I didn’t think her breed usually goes broody but she seems pretty intent on hatching some eggs so we’ll see how it goes! I don’t really want to keep pushing the eggs under her, I don’t think it’ll be good to disturb the eggs. What do you suggest?

15 eggs of the same size that the hen normally lays is not to many eggs for a hen to cover. Hens will sit tightly and loosely on her eggs in response to the temperature of her clutch. Besides hens naturally move or turn her eggs up to 100 times per day. At any rate it is forever too late already to do anything else about this hen so keep your eye on her and hope for the best.

Thanks for your reply! Yes she is sitting on a dozen eggs. Should I remove some eggs in that case? It’s only been a day thus far. I didn’t think her breed usually goes broody but she seems pretty intent on hatching some eggs so we’ll see how it goes! I don’t really want to keep pushing the eggs under her, I don’t think it’ll be good to disturb the eggs. What do you suggest?
No problem! How many eggs at at time is she pushing out?

As someone who has no experience in this matter here is a silly question. What is the temperature in the area where she has decided to nest? Too hot, too cold and could that make a difference in the way she is caring for her eggs?
Just wondering.

As someone who has no experience in this matter here is a silly question. What is the temperature in the area where she has decided to nest? Too hot, too cold and could that make a difference in the way she is caring for her eggs?
Just wondering.
It doesn’t matter in these circumstances...

Just wondering.

I would say the temperature is quite warm, probably ranging from 25-35 degrees celcius. We are currently going through hot summer weather so I guess that’s good for the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom