Broody Chicken or Ill

APK

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
One of my hens has been sitting in the coop all day. There was a clutch of eggs I hadn't collected yet that she was sitting on. When I approached she was making some annoyed sounds, I moved her over and then took the eggs. She was still sitting on the floor.

I felt her crop, felt full and hard. I took her over to the water bowl. She started drinking immediately seemed to be fine. But now has gone back in the coop and is sitting in the same place.

I'm trying to figure out if she is ill and needs help or she is broody.

Has she pulled out the feathers on her chest, which makes it better for skin to egg contact? When she walks around or back to the nest box, does she cluck and hold her tail up in an upside down V shape? When you approach a broody hen on eggs, she will growl at you or even peck at your hands, and if you set an egg next to her, will she roll the egg under her? Broodies will also only get up once or twice a day to quickly eat, drink, or dust bathe, and they will have very large stinky broody poops. Check her crop in the morning, to see if it has emptied.

Back
Top Bottom