broody chicken qestions

TCchickengirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
bainbridge island washington
Hi! everyone i am a new member to BYC and i have a couple questions i was wondering that someone could answer. I have 6 chickens there are 1 Dominique, 4 Marans and 1 buckeye. I was wondering if anyone new when those breeds of chickens usually start to get broody. All of my hens are at least 7 months old
D.gif
and i have been wanting to get chicks!.
jumpy.gif
So

please help out .
yippiechickie.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

While birds of some breeds are more likely to go broody than others, some hens never go broody. There is no telling when (or if) it will happen, and no way to cause it to occur.

BTW, do you have a rooster? Very necessary if you are going to try to hatch your own eggs.

Also very large letters can seem like shouting

welcome-byc.gif
Silkies are frequently used as natural incubators because it's common for them to go broody - they will often hatch and raise any fertile eggs put under them - even duck eggs, etc.

But that doesn't mean every silkie will. I believe Buff orpingtons and Icelandic chickens are often broody as well. I'm sure there are other breeds.

thank you for the advise i will take it into consideration and i don't have a rooster. when they start to go broody i am thinking about buying a already incubated egg i cant get a rooster because i live in a neighborhood that they don't allow them and my mother dose not really like the crowing early in the morning neither do i.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! If you really want chicks you can try and tempt the hens to go go broody by leaving a few "bait" eggs, fake eggs or golf balls in a nestbox for them. I've had some success with this method. But as the above posters said, it comes down the the breed and the individual hen. Broodiness is triggered by
hormones and some hens just want to be mommas while others will never go broody. Best of luck and hope the ladies get the hint and go broody for you!

Back
Top Bottom