Broody chicken that doesnt lay eggs and doesnt sit on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gunay, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Gunay

Gunay New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    I have this chicken that gone broody she stopped laying eggs and only slept at her nest at nights away from others.She was up during the day with other chickens. After I realised she was broody (few days later) I put few eggs in her nest but she doesn't go there any more and she still doesn't lay eggs. It's been almost a week since she stopped laying eggs and now she doesn't even go to her nest at night I am confused with this chicken is she going to continue to be a broody or break up ? She still makes some clunking sound and I put the eggs in to incubator I left 1-2 eggs in the nest just in case if she wants to continue to be broody.I don't really know if she is going to continue laying eggs or continue to be broody hen ?

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

my hen still makes the clucking sound so I wouldn't worry about that because it's normal. Does she fluff up when the other chickens come near her? (Wings out, head down, growling sound, feathers ruffled) have you tried setting her on the perch at night to let her get the idea? How long has she been off the nest? When a broody hen stops sitting in a nest, it usually takes them weeks before they start the laying cycle again.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If she is out roaming all day, she is not broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by