Broody chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rocky2013, Mar 20, 2013.

1. rocky2013

rocky2013 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    lancashire, uk
    we have four chickens in total but one of our ladies is very broody recently and noticed the other chicken is copying her for attention or just being odd[​IMG]the other day we had to get the chicken out of the nest box as she hadn't been down and outside for food or water, why do they do this?

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    They just become so focused on hatching eggs that they deny themselves what they need. You did right to make sure she is eating. And broodiness spreads like wildfire! I lovingly call it...Broody Cooties!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    I agree with broodiness spreading like wildfire! Last fall, I had one hen "disappear" under an outbuilding, the next day her sister was sitting on 2 eggs and a golf ball in the nest box and wouldn't get up. By day 3, the 3rd sister was also sitting on golf balls in another nest box. It turns out the last girl was just "copying" her sisters and she gave up in about 4 days, but the first 2 girls ended up hatching 4 chicks each. It was REALLY neat to watch - and I also thought that it was extremely interesting that each day both broody girls would get up, stretch, and eat at the same time. It was almost like they needed to see each other to encourage the other to keep going. My daughter said they were sending each other "Tweets" to meet up at the food! [​IMG]

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Golf-balls-Fooling chickens all over the world!

5. fordtrucks6202

fordtrucks6202 Out Of The Brooder

I know that broodiness can spread through a laying flock but I have a question. Can one broody hen cause the others to slow down laying? We have nine laying hens total and were getting between seven and nine eggs a day but since one hen (Matilda) has gone broody egg production has dropped to two to four eggs. We don't allow Matilda to sit on the eggs and we remove her from the empty box several times a day to discourage the broodiness but she still goes back after about five to ten minutes.

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    It has caused that in my flock as well. When they go broody it releases a chemical in the hens body that tells them to stop laying. If the others are getting ready to brood then the same thing is happening in them. Sounds like it's time for a sin bin! A sin bin is a small cage with constant lighting that forces the broody hen to begin laying again.

7. fordtrucks6202

I think we may try that. Would young roosters starting to crow have any effect on egg laying as well? Matilda went broody and about a week or so later the boys started trying to crow. I wondered if the crowing may have caused some issue. The roosters are about 5 months younger then the laying hens.

8. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I don't think there crowing would effect anything. At least not that I have ever heard of. Good Luck with the Sin Bin

9. fordtrucks6202

Thanks. I really appreciate the help.

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Anytime!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by