broody chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by swjfos, Feb 21, 2014.

1. swjfos

swjfos Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    dallas, ga.
    I live i ga so i just went and put my three girls outside. I closed the door to the inside coop but left the outside door open so if they get scared they have a place to run to. Im hoping getting them outside with fresh air will get rid of this broody behavior.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    DE works as a deterrent. Once there is an infestation, don't fool around. Fix the problem.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have never had any luck with broody cages or even the broody dunk in cold water. When the hormones really get going in some hens, there is no stopping them. And trying to break them can actually cause depression in the hen. I have found that by just letting the broody hen sit there, on nothing, getting her out of the box several times a day, she gets bored with it. At least that is how it goes in my flock. Among my other broodies, I have one hen that is very a determined broody that every year starts in with the broodiness in May and doesn't stop until September. On and off she goes broody. I have tired in vain to break this broody with the cage method, cooling her brood patch in water, locking her up some place away from the coop...and nothing. She will set anywhere, any place. She will even brood the roost bar!!! LOL But I found if I just let her do her thing, she will set for about 10 days, and start back laying in a few days. She will go broody again a couple weeks later, only to set another 10 days and go right back to laying. When I attempt the breaking method, she refuses to lay at all. So at least I get SOME eggs out of this broody in the summer. [​IMG]

Good luck with your broody!

1 person likes this.
  5. swjfos

swjfos Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    dallas, ga.
    Thanks TwoCowes for your advice.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Your results may vary. The cage is the traditional method. We've been using it for many decades - even before I was born. That was before dirt.

Some are very persistent. The taking them out of the nest a few times a day is both time consuming and doesn't cool the underside sufficiently.

A long term broody produces no eggs or chicks and compromises her health.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    DE really doesn't do anything

8. americanchicker

americanchicker Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Long Island, NY

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. americanchicker

americanchicker Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Long Island, NY

Ok one more thing how will I know when they are gone ? I haven't seen any mites yet just a broody silkie with no head feathers and scaly beak. I dusted her and cleaned n dusted the coop with Sevin. I only did it yesterday this is what she looks like [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by