Broody Chickens! What's the solution?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mandamoo, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Mandamoo

Mandamoo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Brisbane Australia
    Hi Community,

I have a silver laced wyandotte (Winifred) who is approximately 8 months old. She has been really broody for nearly 2 months.

No matter what I do, she just sits in the coop on the eggs. She even steals the other chickens eggs and sits on them too. She sat on my phone for nearly 20 minutes once as well. She'll nest on anything!

We don't have a rooster so none of the eggs are fertilized. She just sits there in hope of a miracle chick hatching I think!

If I take the eggs away or close her off from the nesting area, she stresses out so much. Ordinarily my girls are very quiet. But when I bring Winnie out for a feed, drink and a walk she spends the whole time flapping her wings and clucking at me... it's like she is cranky and is walking around yelling at me lol.

She has plucked all the feathers from her tummy off and I am worried it will start affecting her health.

What should I do?

Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I had broody chicks for extended periods of time. no rooster so no need to brood. I took out the eggs from under her regularly and she would just sit in empty nest. Eventually she gave up. I think if eggs are left under chick, it will prolong the brooding behavior. BEST TO YOU.
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You need a broody breaker cage. Best way is to put her in a bare wire cage, no bedding or nesting place. Elevate the cage for increased airflow to her underneath area. Food, water and a roost if you want. Typically takes 3-5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by