Broody chook amongst existing flock

I have a broody right now incubating 9 eggs. They should hatch on Saturday. I usually separate the hen for the first week or so, but you don't have to. The mama will know what to do. It always surprises me how even a first time mom is so protective and gentle with her chicks. I think that the mama and chicks should be fine. Best of Luck! :jumpy

I've never had any problems with broodies raising their young with the flock. Everyone goes about their own business.

One cold night a chick jumped or fell to the ground out of the nest. I found the mother sheltering it on the ground the next morning. Fortunately there was only one chick, so everything turned out alright. The next time I made little walls to keep that from happening.

From my experience, once all chicks are hatched and out and about with mom during the day, mom likes to nest on the floor at night.

Hi there,

It sounds like you have plenty of space for mumma to just do her thing and bring the babies up within the flock. Generally the other chooks will just ignore the chicks, they may get a peck on the head from time to time, but that's just a pecking order thing! It's actually amazing how speedy the little bubbas get in a short space of time, and they learn very quickly to get out of the way of the other chooks.

Enjoy your hatching journey.

Hi and welcome :frow:welcome

I just love hatching with my mama chooks! I'm new to the whole thing but have had 5 hatches this year. I have a pen set up in the middle of my run with my 2 broody mini coops - they are in full view of the whole flock at all times and after a week or two I start leaving the gate open. I like the mums to have a chance to bond and teach the babies in peace and it has worked so, so well for us. I've nto seen any agression at all from any of the roo's or hens to the babies. I love that they are all so used to having a mixed age flock. The teens get picked on more than when they are tiny - ours tend to sneak out of the day run and into the garden until they can't fit anymore to stay away from the big girls.

I think I'd be worried about moving the eggs. Anyway you can put a piece of board up like a lip to keep the chicks from falling? You can then move them down when they are all hatched.

Update:
On Sunday two eggs were hatched and yesterday we had another 4 eggs hatched.
So, at this point we already got six little chicks.
The hen looks after them very well and is very protective.
She still sits on three eggs and hopefully they will hatch today.
If not I will leave them for another three days before I discard them.
It's great to see these little chicks explore their environment!

I have let all my bantam hens hatch and raise babies with flock. Our flock has Jersey Giants, Favorellas, polish, cochin, sebrights, silkies and bantams. I have 4 roosters and 56 hens
My bantams have raised 40 chicks this summer with flock and none have been hurt
Roosters and broodies are extra protective of babies. I let them bring babies outside when they want. Some came out at 2 weeks others at 4 weeks. The hens know more about babies than I do.

Update:
On Sunday two eggs were hatched and yesterday we had another 4 eggs hatched.
So, at this point we already got six little chicks.
The hen looks after them very well and is very protective.
She still sits on three eggs and hopefully they will hatch today.
If not I will leave them for another three days before I discard them.
It's great to see these little chicks explore their environment!

Congrats. There's nothing like watching a mother hen raise her young. IMO it's the best part of keeping chickens. If it weren't for the risk of getting more roosters I'd raise them every year. Just be aware that in 5-6 weeks she'll act like she doesn't know them.

Back
Top Bottom