BROODY CORTURNIX

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Feb 15, 2012.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I HAVE A CORURNIX THAT HAS NOW BEEN SIITING ON 6 EGGS FOR ABOUT 6 DAYS NOW. I HAVE ONE OF THE PLASTIC PUMPKINS THAT KIDS USE FOR HALLOWEEN IN THE CAGE, I PUT SOME STRAW IN THE PEN ON A COLD NIGHT AND SHE STARTED GATHERING THE STRAW AND PUTTING IT INSIDE THE PUMPKIN AND HAS BEEN SITTING. SHE IS SO CUTE. DON'T KNOW HOW IT IS GOING TO TURN OUT, BUT SO FAR SO GOOD.SHE HAS HER FEATHERS SPREAD OUT OVER THE EGGS AND I CAN SEE HER TURNING THE EGGS EVERY NOW AND THEN.

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool, good luck and keep us posted.

3. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Show lots of pictures to keep it documented. That's cool that you have a broody one. Good luck!

4. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST HERE....BUT SHE GOT OFF TODAY, ATE AND WENT RIGHT BACK TO HER JOB. I DO HOPE SHE HATCHES THEM OUT. SHE PUFFS HER LITTLE FEATHERS TO COVER ALL THE EGGS.

5. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    she is still sitting, gets off once a day for water and food for a few minutes , then goes right back to nest.

6. mossypath

mossypath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    [​IMG] Sounds good so far.
    I wish one of mine would go broody[​IMG]

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i didnt know they went broody. i was always told it was bred out of them lol. GOOD LUCK!!

8. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    MY LITTLE BROODY CORTURNIX BEGAN HATCHING OUT HER BABIES TODAY. WHEN I WENT OUT TONIGHT , I SAW A LITTLE ONE AND IT HAD FALLEN OUT OF THE NEST AND WAS COLD, I FELT UP UNDER THE MOTHER QUAIL AND THERE WAS ANOTHER LITTLE ONE, SINCE SHE DID NOT SEEM TO BE TAKING CARE OF THEM, I BROUGHT THEM IN AND PLACE IN MY 2ND INCUBATOR AND TURNED ON THE HEAT, THEY BOTH SEEM TO BE DOING FINE, HOPE TO HAVE MORE TOMORROW WHEN I CHECK. I WAS SO IN HOPES SHE WOULD LOOK AFTER THEM, BUT SHE IS STILL INTERESTED IN SITTING ON THE OTHER EGGS.

9. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    they will, tho its VERY rare, must be cool to see her actually doing it, none of my birds will.

10. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, That is amazing...... :D maybe she'll look after the ones that hatch later one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by