Broody - day 21 has come and gone

Petra Pancake

Songster
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
Today should have been hatching day, but my broody is still sitting spread out on the nest. Couldn't see or hear anything around her. I didn't push her away to look, though. She had been sitting on 11 eggs originally, 2 broke, 3 were empty when I candled them on day 8, so I threw them out. 6 remained. I'll give it 2-3 extra days. If nothing hatches, should I break the broodiness or give her new eggs for another round? Would a hen be likely to complete another 21 days?

My last two broodies didn't hatch eggs until day 23. Not sure why. My last one is still on 3 eggs and I think this is day 24. I would just let them be for a few days.

If they don't hatch I would not want any of my hens to go another 21 days. Just not healthy. Maybe you could slip a few chicks underneath her if hers done hatch?

If they don't hatch i would buy some very young chicks for her. Just put them under her at night (in the dark). Six weeks of broodiness is too long, she will lose too much weight and may give up leaving eggs to die.

Can you candle some? If the chicks are developed you will only see a black mass, but if they all died a while ago you will probably see a blob with a black blood line. They should also be peeping/jiggling around a bit a day or two before the hatch if they are viable.

Do you have her set up in a separate cage inside the coop? If not you want to do that before introducing store bought chicks.

Thanks @Eckielady and @Sonya9 . I'll give her a few more days. The eggs got cooled down at around day 10 of incubation when the broody went to the wrong nesting box. Maybe that's delaying the hatch (or maybe it ruined them). Very young chicks are not usually sold here, they are more likely to be a week or two old so that's probably not going to work. Also, I would have liked to breed my own mix - I've got a very nicely colored rooster and wanted offspring from him. I do still have a second broody in a separate cage who has another two weeks to go - maybe she'll succeed if the first one doesn't. If that also fails - they both were broody last fall, probably they'll be at it again in a few months then.

Thanks @Eckielady and @Sonya9 . I'll give her a few more days. The eggs got cooled down at around day 10 of incubation when the broody went to the wrong nesting box. Maybe that's delaying the hatch (or maybe it ruined them). Very young chicks are not usually sold here, they are more likely to be a week or two old so I think I'll leave that. Also, I would have liked to breed my own mix - I've got a very nicely colored rooster and wanted offspring from him. I do still have a second broody in a separate cage who has another two weeks to go - maybe she'll succeed if the first one doesn't. If that also fails - they both were broody last fall, probably they'll be at it again in a few months then.

I would candle a few if you are able. Might just set your mind at ease.

Do you have her in a separate broody cage now? Yeah, going to the wrong nest is a big worry if they are not penned with the eggs.

I would suggest giving her a couple of more days. The cool-down may have set the hatch back a bit. I agree with the others - if nothing hatches, break her broodiness. (She may also just give upon her own.)

Back
Top Bottom