Broody doesn't like my nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Egg_newton, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I have a broody silkie who is currently sitting on one of her eggs. I am expecting some shipped eggs in a couple days. I have her is a dog carrier with a cardboard box tipped on its side and a lip to hold in the bedding. But my hen keeps pushing the egg out of the nest and sitting on it outside of the nest. That's find for one silkie egg but soon she will be sitting on about a half dozen LF eggs. The box helps hold them all under her. What can I do to encourage her to use the nest? She has used the box once before.
    [​IMG]

2. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Anyone have any ideas? I have put straw in the nest; I made the lip of the box taller and neither of those worked. I now put an Easter basket with straw and her egg and set her on top where she insists on sitting about half an hour ago. I need to go and check to see if that worked...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

You should let her put the eggs where she wants. If she isn't comfy once all the eggs are there she will probably move them again. Trust her judgement she knows what she's doing.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have 2 broody hens on eggs, I tried giving them bigger boxes but they didn't like it. You might want to use that smaller box so she can feel the nest is tighter around her I don't know why they do this but thats just my experience so far I am also new to this and I just let them have the smaller box.
    Maybe they feel more secure with it around as they get closer to having them you can always cut down 1 side to give the babies more room.

EDIT: What I mean is lay the box down then fill it with the shavings see if she will keep them in that way....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by