Broody duck adopting hatched ducklings?

Duckieduck

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Has anyone put newly hatched ducklings (and broken eggs) under a broody, sitting muscovy and the duck adopted them? Someone near me has ducklings that will hatch in about a week, and since my muscovy's hatching eggs are not developing, its the only thing I can think of doing. I feel like, if I get her new hatching eggs she won't sit long enough (she's been sitting nearly 3 weeks already). I'd love to hear anyone's experience of this. Thank you!

Last edited:
I have put ducklings under a broody hen and it worked amazingly well, but I don't know for sure if putting chicks under a broody duck will work as well. How big are the chicks? Are they bantams?

I have put ducklings under a broody hen and it worked amazingly well, but I don't know for sure if putting chicks under a broody duck will work as well. How big are the chicks? Are they bantams?

Oh Im so sorry, I meant ducklings! I've just edited my post so as not to confuse everyone. Yes, I have a duck and hope to put newly hatched ducklings under her. Is that what you did? And it worked? Will she know it's not her babies/. How can a duck know when it's time for their eggs to hatch? Did you sneak them under her when she was out getting food? Thank you so much for your reply! Apologies for my confusing post.

Broody ducks, like broody hens, will very likely accept day old chicks/ducklings if they have been broody long enough. They don't really care if the ducklings are biologically theirs. Just like they don't care if the eggs they've been sitting on are theirs or not.

Oh Im so sorry, I meant ducklings! I've just edited my post so as not to confuse everyone. Yes, I have a duck and hope to put newly hatched ducklings under her. Is that what you did? And it worked? Will she know it's not her babies/. How can a duck know when it's time for their eggs to hatch? Did you sneak them under her when she was out getting food? Thank you so much for your reply! Apologies for my confusing post.
In that case I'm pretty sure you can, I've seen chickens stealing eggs from each other and sitting on them and people putting new hatched chicks under hens so I assume it's the same with duks. Good-luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom