Broody duck dead duckling

Iowachick26

Hatching
Apr 3, 2015
I am new to ducks, I have 2 Silver Appleyard females and one drake. They have been sitting on a bunch of eggs and I let them be because I wanted some ducklings. This morning I went out to the coop and there was a dead duckling, way far out of the nest. I went and investigated further and there are only 4 eggs left and another dead duckling inside the nest. I cleaned out the nest and put the four eggs back. They both sat on them again.

Any advice? I wonder what happened, I wonder if I should separate the drake and I have another female Rouen duck. I wonder if they picked on the duckling? I am not sure. Nothing sadder than a dead duckling.

I am new to ducks, I have 2 Silver Appleyard females and one drake. They have been sitting on a bunch of eggs and I let them be because I wanted some ducklings. This morning I went out to the coop and there was a dead duckling, way far out of the nest. I went and investigated further and there are only 4 eggs left and another dead duckling inside the nest. I cleaned out the nest and put the four eggs back. They both sat on them again. 

Any advice? I wonder what happened, I wonder if I should separate the drake and I have another female Rouen duck. I wonder if they picked on the duckling? I am not sure. Nothing sadder than a dead duckling. 

Were the ducklings dried off and fluffy? Two hens brooding one nest? They may have been competing for the ducklings with sad results. It is better to have only one hen brooding a single clutch. Were the ducklings picked on/visibly damaged? Does the drake leave the hens alone while they brood? Some drakes will try to mate with hens on the nest or drive them off the eggs causing damage to eggs and ducklings..

Good points. Yes I don't know why both are on there. It started with one of the lady ducks then the other joined her. There are 4 more eggs and I candled them-there are more ducks in there. Should I take one of the ducks off the nest?

The drake leaves them alone, unless they are off the nest then he tried to mate them. I do I think I am going to move the nest, I have a split coop so it would not be a problem to move the tote with the eggs and leave one mama in there.

The dead ducklings seemed dried. I think.....I will go look at them again.

Thanks for your reply!

Good points. Yes I don't know why both are on there. It started with one of the lady ducks then the other joined her. There are 4 more eggs and I candled them-there are more ducks in there. Should I take one of the ducks off the nest?

The drake leaves them alone, unless they are off the nest then he tried to mate them. I do I think I am going to move the nest, I have a split coop so it would not be a problem to move the tote with the eggs and leave one mama in there. 

The dead ducklings seemed dried. I think.....I will go look at them again. 

Thanks for your reply!

Leave then hen that started to brood first and remove the other. Good luck!

Ok the dead ducklings did not appear dried off. Not fluffy, but defiantly developed.

My coop is split and has two rooms, so I moved first broody duck mom in with her tote/nest by herself, they can still kind of see each other and hear each other, but I don't want to risk that again. She won't be able to go outside, but I put food and water in with her.

Ok the dead ducklings did not appear dried off. Not fluffy, but defiantly developed.

My coop is split and has two rooms, so I moved first broody duck mom in with her tote/nest by herself, they can still kind of see each other and hear each other, but I don't want to risk that again. She won't be able to go outside, but I put food and water in with her.
Keep us updated.
fl.gif

also keep an eye out for mom, I had a broody duck try and kill one of hers sometimes you just never know but try to stay close until ducklings hatch to make sure it isn't one of the ducks. Possibly the one on the eggs now.

Last edited:
Well Update from the duck.....I had four yesterday night when I went to bed, this morning 3 eggs and another dead duckling :(
This was after I separated mom from the others. She was very upset, but I decided to take the eggs.
One is very ready, I can see the duck egg is black inside.

Any suggestions now on how to hatch duck eggs that are almost ready? I have a bantam I thought about. I have no incubator.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom