Broody duck doesn’t get it

JoJoM

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I have a broody rouen. I had moved a couple of her nests into her coop, but kept setting up outside. She finally started going into the chicken coop and has a nest in there. The problem is that she sits on the nest from 8am-1:30pm (like clockwork) and then leaves. She sleeps in her own coop. Is she just going it wrong??

It also seems as though I have a couple more that going broody and I’d love to break them and would take any advice. They’ve been laying all over the place and their eggs are going to attract predators if I don’t collect them.

Collect all eggs outside and destroy all outside nests. You'll have to keep it up because they can be persistent.
How long has your Rouen been sitting from 8-1:30? I have 2 broody Muscovy's I have taken all eggs away but they insist and because they are inside where it's safe I don't try to break them. Been there done that it doesn't work so I just let it run its course, I just make sure they are off the nest at least 1X a day to eat drink and poop.
Many breeds have had the broodiness bred out of them but still retain a little so we see some part-time broodies They just don't commit all the way.

I am always surprised when I hear about Rouens successfully hatching eggs. Admittedly, I’ve only had 3 Rouens, but I’ve never seen them be properly broody. The closest Daphne gets is tucking her eggs in while making loving little quacks before heading out for some fun and foraging!

Anyways, I agree with everything @Miss Lydia recommended above. Also, I love the term “part time broodies”. I think that describes Rouens perfectly!

You might try dummy eggs in the duck coop?!
If I can figure out where the other 7 ducks are laying, I'll make a nest in their coop and see if it helps. I really don't need ducklings, I'm just worried if I keep messing with her chicken coop nest, she'll move outside and get killed. I wonder if I should just give one of my broody hens a couple of duck eggs and give them to the duck once they hatch....

If I can figure out where the other 7 ducks are laying, I'll make a nest in their coop and see if it helps. I really don't need ducklings, I'm just worried if I keep messing with her chicken coop nest, she'll move outside and get killed. I wonder if I should just give one of my broody hens a couple of duck eggs and give them to the duck once they hatch....
If she didn't hatch them she will not accept them. Broody chickens most of the time will.

Viper sat on her eggs all day yesterday AND stayed in the chicken coop all night! I have no idea how many eggs are under her and she looks mean right now so I’m not going in to check. I’ll count yesterday as day 1 and hope she can let 28-30 days.

Are there feathers in the nest? I have a pair if geese (admittedly not ducks) that did the 4 hour a day sitting when they laid an egg for almost 2 months before one finally went truly broody. No feathers for those 2 months. Now she did the feather lining and is a hard-core broader. My ducks went from 0 to sitting so no advice from them other than the first thing I spotted while egg collecting was feathers in the nest about a week before they settled in.

I agree trying with fake/dummy eggs. I bought some like 2 months ago just to try to teach mine where I wanted them to lay eggs... (aka not in mud puddles). But it resulted in two broody mallard hens within days. If you see your hen really committed then add real eggs.

Back
Top Bottom