Broody duck hatching questions help

aww she is lucky to have you watching her. I know wild ducks have been doing this since the beginning of creation but you just can't help but worry about them. Brooding really takes it's toll on them hopefully she'll recover quick she's going to be one busy mama.

Update:
Ducky is till doing the panting thing. It's not hot nor humid today....a nice 74. I did put the water out for her a few days ago, but she wouldn't go near it. Thankfully, it did rain, though, and that brought the temp down by 10 degrees. She left the nest for about 15 minutes after that.
And, it seems she's reaching celebrity status among some kids in the neighborhood. A teen was explaining why the predator sounds were being used, and why it smelled like peppermint near the flowerbed. I made sure they didn't get too close or disturb her. Observation from a distance you might say. And he told them to be very quiet, as not to scare her. I did tell them that she needed her space, so coming around was not a good idea.
Now, does her continued panting mean that the eggs are near hatching status? It might be around the 21st or 22nd.
*Might end up camping out on my front porch.....lol

She could just to hot too she is cooking her eggs I'm sure that is generating heat for her too. Kids sometimes mean well but if they come around while hatch is going on even before or after mom could very well leave the nest and her ducklings. You may just have to camp out on your porch. According to what I looked up it says they can hatch anywhere for 25-29 days. So it's anybody's guess when hatch will start. I thought maybe they would be like a Call and hatch 24-26 days?
you might have already seen this but it is interesting
https://www.wildlifecenter.org/mallard-duck-nests

She could just to hot too she is cooking her eggs I'm sure that is generating heat for her too. Kids sometimes mean well but if they come around while hatch is going on even before or after mom could very well leave the nest and her ducklings. You may just have to camp out on your porch. According to what I looked up it says they can hatch anywhere for 25-29 days. So it's anybody's guess when hatch will start. I thought maybe they would be like a Call and hatch 24-26 days?
you might have already seen this but it is interesting
https://www.wildlifecenter.org/mallard-duck-nests
Thanks for the link, and yes, as you might have guessed, I've read it.....along with about 1/2 a dozen others.....lol. Based on the time frame, the hatch could be either this week or next.
(26 to 29 days sounds about right)
I think it'll be soon though. One site said the eggs hatch at night or early morning, and they'll stay under her for about 10 hrs after hatching for their feathers to dry. Totally want to witness it! So, I guess this means keeping the coffee pot going for the next few days....lol. Have extra batteries for the flashlight, too.....just in case.....lol And at least 10 more shots left on my camera too....lol

Hope you share it all with us. Are you close to a body of water? Just wondering how far she is going to have to take these ducklings?
There's a lake directly behind my property. The only problem I see with that is everyone has fences and gates on their property, including myself. I was wondering if I left the gates open (when they begin hatching, that is) would she take the shortest route to the lake through my yard? If she doesn't, it's going to be a tedious trek for her and her hatchlings.
I had thought about following them (if she doesn't go through the yard) just to make sure they make it safely (camera in hand, of course). Any thoughts?

That I don't know but hopefully, she will see the gate open and use that way to the lake. I guess you'll just have to wait and see. Might be a time when you have to show her and her littles the best way out.

That I don't know but hopefully, she will see the gate open and use that way to the lake. I guess you'll just have to wait and see. Might be a time when you have to show her and her littles the best way out.
Wow!! So that would kinda make me a...."duck whisperer"!! (lol) If I only knew of a way to lure her through the gates! That would be awesome!

Walking slowly behind her and ducklings using your arms as guides.
Duck central reporting in....
Ok. A little concerned this morning. She's been away from the nest for awhile now. Definitely not the norm. I've noticed that just before it rains, she'll leave for a little while, not longer than 1/2 an hour. There'e been a light rain this AM, but she hasn't returned yet. Had to shew some sparrows away from taking some down from her nest. I hope I'm worrying for nothing. Will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom