Agwhite

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2022
It is the middle of winter here in Alabama and I have a Muscovy hen going broody. We're in the middle of January! I don't understand what’s going through her mind, other than she's a Muscovy duck and they just love the process of hiding and sitting on eggs. I don’t think this is a good idea considering the daylight hours are shorter with temperatures in the 40s during the day and 30s at night. Why is my Muscovy hen broody in the winter!? Is this even normal!?
0FE09D45-4B52-40EE-809C-52C6676DAB76.jpeg

I spotted her late and she now has 15 eggs. She has been coming off of the nest for quite some time now and has been inconsistent with her sitting. She left the nest unattended overnight and the eggs felt cold. I’m considering moving the eggs into the coop where it’s warmer and letting anther hen claim them. We are supposed to get some bad weather tomorrow. I dont know if I should just let her continue and hope for the best or move the eggs. Please help I NEED advise on what to do ASAP. Would love your opinions. Thanks.
9C05C56B-EEB1-40C3-83B7-BB8364C0D221.jpeg

This is my opinion and I hope others will add theirs. When my Muscovys go truly broody, they leave the nest for very short periods, and they cover the eggs with feathers and shavings first. Since you don't know how long the eggs have been there, some of them should at least be old enough to candle. With the cold temperatures and lack of consistent sitting, I wouldn't think any will be viable. You could try marking them and moving them into the coop but there is no reassurance she would accept them there. I would collect them all and dispose of them.
Another thing to consider is whether this an appropriate time for ducklings to be hatched. I always collect any eggs until such time as, a month later, conditions would be alright for ducklings.

This is my opinion and I hope others will add theirs. When my Muscovys go truly broody, they leave the nest for very short periods, and they cover the eggs with feathers and shavings first. Since you don't know how long the eggs have been there, some of them should at least be old enough to candle. With the cold temperatures and lack of consistent sitting, I wouldn't think any will be viable. You could try marking them and moving them into the coop but there is no reassurance she would accept them there. I would collect them all and dispose of them.
Another thing to consider is whether this an appropriate time for ducklings to be hatched. I always collect any eggs until such time as, a month later, conditions would be alright for ducklings.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom