Broody duck laying question

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
This summer I had 2 ducks go broody at the same time, a pekin and a khaki campbell. The khaki wasn’t ever consistent with laying on her eggs but my pekin was for a week or two and then would stop, find a new clutch and lay on those. She did this 3 or 4 times in a row and I started to worry about her health laying on eggs for that long (well over the normal 28 days). So I bought 3 ducklings from tractor supply, removed her eggs while she was up for a drink and replaced them with the ducklings. Long story short that went pretty well, she accepted the ducklings and stopped being broody, as well as the khaki. The ducklings are now 10 weeks and neither of my momma ducks have started laying eggs again. How long after broody/“hatching” do ducks start laying eggs again?

My 1 year olds that went broody in June still haven't started re-laying, but they also just finished molting.

One hen covered then abandoned the nest around 20 days in and started fighting for another hen's nest. I split those eggs and she hatched one, sat adorably with baby sitting on her back for 2 or 3 days, then she decided to fight over the last eggs in the other hen's nest again. Almost 60 days total nest sitting time before all eggs were done!

She was looking a bit feather ragged at the end but is fine now after her molt. A very diligent nest sitter and guarder. She had one super quickie food and swim break per day (maybe 15 mins.) But I also put food and water right near her so she could have done 30 second sneaks when I wasn't looking at the security camera. I did catch her grabbing a few mouthfuls once when she had the duckling.

Duckling hatched Mid-August, so I'm only about 8 weeks post hatch vs your 10.

Last edited:
This summer I had 2 ducks go broody at the same time, a pekin and a khaki campbell. The khaki wasn’t ever consistent with laying on her eggs but my pekin was for a week or two and then would stop, find a new clutch and lay on those. She did this 3 or 4 times in a row and I started to worry about her health laying on eggs for that long (well over the normal 28 days). So I bought 3 ducklings from tractor supply, removed her eggs while she was up for a drink and replaced them with the ducklings. Long story short that went pretty well, she accepted the ducklings and stopped being broody, as well as the khaki. The ducklings are now 10 weeks and neither of my momma ducks have started laying eggs again. How long after broody/“hatching” do ducks start laying eggs again?
My ducks have oddly laid consistently while being broody. They will fill a breast with 20-30 eggs and try to sit on them all. It's a nightmare... That said, I would think that hatching and raising young could trigger delays in egg production.

Back
Top Bottom