Broody duck - move nest or add onto it????

Maybe build some kind of fencing under there to protect her and keep them others out. Once hatch day gets close mine rarely put up a fight when I move them to the little coop I use for hatching, But by then hatch is started so they aren't about to leave those eggs.

Oh I never thought of a hatch area. .. that's a good thought . I have found some old temporary fencing stuff that I can cut down to size and make it work, I want her to be protected from everyone else (hens,ducks,dogs,kids,random animals that show up)

I put food and water in there in bowls, changed food to a plate with a tiny lip but need to get a smaller bowl . I'm concerned that she can't stand to drink out of it there's just not enough room.

I've finally seen her out foraging this am so I'll justleave her be after I put up walls

Up to you but if the females lay in her nest that means you’ll have growing duckling in eggs at different stages of development and once her eggs hatch she’ll be ready to take her hatched duckling out usually at 2-3 days after hatch and she’ll leave the rest of the eggs behind.

First time moms I like to keep eggs they sit on at 6. Makes it so much easier on them instead of large clutches.

Ok I'll stick with 6 and remove the rest. I can't imagine all could be fertile . I'll wait until she's off the nest and try ti grab the oldest or un-fertile. I don't know exactly how it'll go but I'll do my best. I do have an incubator but have low and problems with hatch rate. I'm going to candle them before removing permanently and compare to hatch calendar in hopes I'll be able to tell which ones would be most viable . Never had to remove questionable eggs before .

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom