Broody EE?

kiplingchick

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 15, 2011
Central NC
I have a mixed flock of 20 hens and 3 roos, some 2 yr olds and some 1 yr olds. At night they are locked in a run/coop and during the day they free range in my fenced in yard. For months, one of my yr old EEs flies over the fence and lays her eggs in a "hidden nest". One of my 2 yr old BAs started following her.

Yesterday, it seemed she (the EE) was sitting on the nest all puffed up. She stayed out there all night and was still there this morning. She is one of the LEAST social of my hens. So here are my questions...

Has anyone had experience with an EE going broody, successfully hatching and being a good momma? I thought this breed was highly unlikely to go broody. Would it be best for me to take her eggs? I'm concerned I won't be able to successfully move her and her nest, as she doesn't even lay her eggs in the coop. What to do?

She definitely sounds broody.

As far as whether or not an EE can go broody, realize that EE isn't really a "breed" and that they could have many different kinds of chickens in their backgrounds. Of course they probably have Ameraucana or Araucana in their genes somewhere, but the other parent could be literally anything. Because EEs are by definition mutts and all different, EEs all behave differently. For example, I've heard people on BYC say their EEs are their friendliest chickens, but my EEs are flightier than my white Leghorns.

There's nothing to say that your EE can't make a good mama. If you want to try to move her, I'd put some golf balls in the new nest location and put her on the new nest in the dark. Then keep the eggs you want her to hatch at room temperature for a few days while you watch to see if your hen is sitting tight on the golf balls. If she's still sitting tight after a day or two, go ahead and put the eggs back under her. If she gets up, you'll have your answer.

I understood about EEs being Mutts, but I hadn't thought of it from that perspective... maybe good momma genes in there. Thanks! I'll try moving her at night, and keeping some room temp eggs for her. Good idea! Her current location puts her at risk from "small" predators like opossum and raccoons, and any chicks that hatch would be at risk from a small population of feral cats that hang out on our property.

Again, thanks for the reminder about the mixed breed aspect of my EE!

We made a not so successful attempt at moving her last night. I put a small crate inside the run. Made a nest of pine shavings and topped it with leaves to mimic her "hidden" nest. Then put her inside the crate. She was sitting on 3 eggs, which we also moved and added 4 more. This morning she was standing in the crate, and had scattered the eggs around. I opened the crate and she went straight for the feed. Instead of returning to the crate, she jumped the fence and went back to her empty "hidden" nest.

So my dilemma, do I return the eggs to her and let her hatch them out there? I just don't know what happens when they hatch. She obviously has not thought this all the way through ;-)

Or do I put her in my "broody jail" for breaking my broody hens and wait for someone else to brood?

That's a tough one. It all comes down to how much risk you can accept. If the risk that she or her babies are eaten by a predator is too great for you, then I'd break her. If you're willing to take the chance, let her sit tight. I don't have any more concrete suggestions, because I don't know exactly how great the chances of her being eaten are in that location.

Back
Top Bottom