Broody Emergency

ChaosTheory

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
So, I have a chicken who has gone broody. The eggs are at 24 days I think, we were pretty sure that the chicken eggs weren't going to hatch because it's been so long, but we've continued to let her sit because there are duck eggs under her that seem to be doing fine (they are on day 27 today). We took out an egg that we were pretty sure was rotten yesterday (it was grossssss on the inside). We let the other eggs stay until today to give them more of a chance. Well, lo-and-behold, I went to check on her, and she had rolled an egg out from under her. It had pipped. The egg was cold, but the chick was still alive, though not making as much noise as it maybe should be (this is our first chick hatching experience!). I put the egg under a heat lamp for a little bit, and also put a little warm water on the visible membrane, and then I put the egg back under the mom. Why did she roll a hatching chick out from underneath her? Was she rejecting it because it didn't look like the rest of the eggs? This is her first time too. PLEASE HELP! If she rolsl it out again, what should I do?? AH!

I would guess That she just didn't like the feel of it moving under her? Not sure! If it happens again I would just keep it inside. Warm and humid.

Good luck and God Bless!

I believe duck eggs take longer than chicken eggs to hatch. I can't remember for sure but I believe it's 28 days. I hope someone with more knowledge will pipe up and tell you for sure. Maybe the egg rolled out accidentally.

Yup, duck eggs do take longer, we put them under then hen before the chicken eggs, they all about have the same due date (although the chicks were supposed to hatch first, but I had kind of given up hope on any chickens hatching!!).

Quote:
If this is her first time sitting/hatching eggs it may just be that she is inexperienced and doesn't like the egg moving around under her....or she is prematurely "cleaning" the nest....I am not sure. If she makes it all the way to a baby hatching she may settle down and just enjoy herself. (Or, worst case scenario, she might kill the baby chick or duckling.)

I have two broody hens (Serama's) inside in crates right now. The first one had a chick hatch out on Saturday and then she abandoned the other two eggs she was sitting on. Just didn't want to sit on them anymore, and only wanted to take care of her little one that was out.

Fortunately, I was able to grab the other eggs (they were cold, too) and put them under the other broody hen. She hatched one out yesterday and FIVE more babies hatched overnight! Including the ones the other hen abandoned.

I wouldn't give up hope because the eggs are on day 24, because they can take longer to develop depending on the temperature being slightly down.

Rhodie, the mama who hatched the first baby is a good sitter, but an overprotective mama and this is the second time she abandoned eggs after one baby hatched. Lassie, on the other hand, is great little sitter and will sit until I take the dud eggs away.

At any rate, you will learn what type of broody she will make over time and can plan accordingly. If I did not have my back up hen, I would have fired up the incubator and had it ready to put eggs into when Rhodie abandoned the other eggs.

I have taken a mega dose of antihistimines this morning (durn allergies are driving me nuts!) so this may be as clear as mud......I hope it helps somehow.

If you candle the eggs and can see live babies in them and she refuses to sit on them and you don't have an incubator, put the eggs into a bowl with a towel in the bottom and aim a heat lamp towards the bowl-not directly on the eggs unless it is high enough not to cook them-if you have a thermometer you can keep track of the temps and regulate the heat by moving the bowl accordingly (the heat should stay at 99.5 for an average-at the top of the eggs it can be a bit higher 100-101), for humidity you can put in a sponge, paper towel or wet wash cloth-I wouldn't lay it on the egg, and you can loosely lay something over part of the bowl to help hold the moisture in.

Let me know if I can clarify anything. Good Luck!

Well. I've checked up on the mom since putting the pipper back under her, and she hasn't pushed it out again. PHEW! I hope it goes okay, thanks for the info guys!
Patchesnposies, thanks a lot! I really need to get my hands on a thermometer. Since the chicks are indeed starting to hatch, I'm guessing the ducklings might take longer too, and she will probably want to leave the nest before they get a chance to hatch under her. I didn't know so many different chickens could be so different in mothering, gah.

EMERGENCY BACK ON!
I think the chick is dead, I think the mom killed it. She was eating something, so I looked in to see what it was, and I was like, "I don't hear any peeping, I'll check on the chick" so I lifted momma up and saw it lying there, dead. She ate all the shell and the yolk. AGGH. What should I do with the rest of these eggs?

I have hen that did that this year. Some hens are good broodies, but not good moms. Some get better thier second try. The ones that are good broodies, but not good moms, I just take the chicks away and raise them myself.

Should I let her try to hatch out the rest of the eggs or should I take them away as soon as I get a thermometer? This is really upsetting =[ It was so full of life an hour and a half ago, I was so excited.

Back
Top Bottom