Broody Foxholes

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
So I just had an idea after finding a nest starting in my quail room from either my Phoenix, Cemani or both.

Does anyone know if a type of foxhole would encourage them to nest there instead? My birds always start nests, but most end up pillaged by animals before they start to brood (or during even).

My thought would be to build a box out of wire with one side open and threat vines (the fake craft ones you can buy) through the holes to make it like a hide a hunter would use, but much smaller. That would make a dark, safe looking place to have a nest

Does this sound like it had possibilities? Or a waste of time? Anything I should take into consideration?

Resourceful. I believe your idea has merit. You'll only know how much when you field test it. Let us know how your idea develops. Post pics.

And please add to your thread instead if creating a bunch of new ones. But you probably already know that since you've been here for a while now.

Resourceful. I believe your idea has merit. You'll only know how much when you field test it. Let us know how your idea develops. Post pics.

And please add to your thread instead if creating a bunch of new ones. But you probably already know that since you've been here for a while now.
Um, okay?

So I just had an idea after finding a nest starting in my quail room from either my Phoenix, Cemani or both.

Does anyone know if a type of foxhole would encourage them to nest there instead? My birds always start nests, but most end up pillaged by animals before they start to brood (or during even).

My thought would be to build a box out of wire with one side open and threat vines (the fake craft ones you can buy) through the holes to make it like a hide a hunter would use, but much smaller. That would make a dark, safe looking place to have a nest

Does this sound like it had possibilities? Or a waste of time? Anything I should take into consideration?
Hmmm..... Free range birds laying/brooding wherever?
Might work...bait it with some fake eggs?
Not sure your goal....to be able to find eggs laid in range area or to protect a broody hen?

Hmmm..... Free range birds laying/brooding wherever?
Might work...bait it with some fake eggs?
Not sure your goal....to be able to find eggs laid in range area or to protect a broody hen?
Mostly to try and protect nests if they can get laying in there, I'll know where to look and keep an eye on things. This particular flock I don't take eggs from. Can't find nests 90% or the time and they do a great job raising chi is without help that it's easier for me to let them to their thing and sell the extra girls they raise. They always pick spots they're safe in (for 5 years now, only lost 2 adult birds total from this flock to predators and one was a mentally slow male) but wild birds almost always find their nests when they aren't in my quail room nesting.

Mostly to try and protect nests if they can get laying in there, I'll know where to look and keep an eye on things. This particular flock I don't take eggs from. Can't find nests 90% or the time and they do a great job raising chi is without help that it's easier for me to let them to their thing and sell the extra girls they raise. They always pick spots they're safe in (for 5 years now, only lost 2 adult birds total from this flock to predators and one was a mentally slow male) but wild birds almost always find their nests when they aren't in my quail room nesting.
Give it a try<shrugs>
Tho if a chicken can get in there, a wild bird can too...might just take them longer to find it?
What kind of wild birds are destroying the nests or eating the eggs?

Give it a try<shrugs>
Tho if a chicken can get in there, a wild bird can too...might just take them longer to find it?
What kind of wild birds are destroying the nests or eating the eggs?
Mostly magpies and crows.

I was planning to put the hides in the barn where the birds aren't usually to encourage my hens to lay there.

Back
Top Bottom