Broody gave up during hatch!?

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
I have a broody that has sit constantly for 21 days. Only getting off once every morning to eat, drink, and poop. This morning when she got off, I peeked in the nest and saw 5 pips, with 1 starting to zip. I thought cool, they are starting to hatch, babies on the way. Now this is the weird part, she has not gone back to the nest. She is acting not like a broody any more, scratching around, dust bathing, and interacting with the other hens. And she does not care that I am looking in the nest. It is like she gave up! On closer inspection later, two are now zipping but they look very dry! This is my first time with a broody, usually incubate my eggs. What should I do? Should I take them and set them in my incubator? I have it all set up, waiting on some eggs to set tomorrow. I really don't want to loose these chicks now, they are VERY chirpy and really trying to hatch, but they look way to dry. Any help would be appreciated.

If that hen's not back on her nest yet, put the eggs in you incubator. Lucky you got one! It's really weird she got up now. Nothing would shift my hens while their eggs are hatching!

I brought them in an put them in my incubator. And one hatched right away! I have one almost out and now all the rest have pips. I guess she had enough sitting and gave up. At least I was prepared somewhat. Hopefully the rest hatch today, so I can still set my eggs tomorrow. Got to love chickens.

Congratulations on your babies! Stupid hen. Ah well, she saved you the hassle of incubation them at least.
smile.png
Enjoy your babies!

Back
Top Bottom