broody got off nest eggs due thurs.

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
She was on this morning this afternoon she was over in another box and the eggs were cold.should I pitch them?I put her back over on them but who knows how long she has been off for them to be cold.I have had a hard time keeping the broodies in the same box they jump boxes I think the other hens are kicking them out of the boxes.

You may want to consider isolating your next broody. I had this happen early on as well before separating her out. Honestly, you are so close that I would just leave them under her. You never know.

I definitely wouldn't toss them! Unless they've been sitting for 24 hours, I doubt they've died. Do you have an incubator in case she does this again? It's best to isolate a broody from the rest of the flock so these kinds of things don't happen but it's a little late for this time around. Is there a way you can "fence" her in with chicken wire so that she doesn't go to another nest and the others can't bother her?

I will have to do that from now on.I didn't realize what a problem it was going to be.Everybody keeps nest hopping and the broodies always get shoved around.Originally I started with about 8eggs and now am down to 4.They got lost got cracked open etc etc.

Let us know if you end up with any babies, please? Forgot to mention that they will probably be a day or so late, due to the cold temps they experienced. Hoping for the best!
fl.gif

Did you check and see if she sat on them last night, instead of roosting. My broodies will at times get up and go with the group for a little while, and then go back to the nest. Especially on hot days. Doesn't mean she abandoned them, nor that the eggs are a loss. Mine did that yesterday, and went back to them after about an hour. It was in the 80's so I wan't worried.

My broody did that twice at the end over 4 days- for several hours.

I hatched 4 cute fuzzies, and lost 2 because they didn't pip through to the air cell- I'm guessing from the size of the air cell that her absence during those gaps hurt the humidity level the most.

If it ever happens to me again I'll help, rather than letting them be- I think they could have been helped since I candled when I shoved them under the second time she sat in the wrong nest and the veining was already cleared in the air cell area- I probably could have helped without hurting them.

Of course it won't ever happen again because I'll be locking the broody in and won't take any chances!

Cooling isn't as detrimental as over heating and many survive even long periods of cool down. If there's a constant war over nest space then you need to separate out your broodies. Less defensive/protective hens can be forced off a nest and eggs broken/trampled.

Mine are flat mean once broody and it's not a problem I've had but LOTS of other people have to separate out their broodies.

I would agree about being mean, but my reason for isolating a broody hereafter will be assuring she doesn't leave the nest for another nest.

I fully understand she'll want to stretch her legs and dust bathe and whatnot, but I'm going to have to oversee that I think!

well one baby is out tonight he is sooo cute I hope at least one more makes it.Keeping my fingers crossed.I am abit confused on isolating the broodies.I tried putting them in the nest boxes that nobody uses but they didn't like it and left the eggs same when i put them in a small dog crate i will have to try again next time.I have another broody who is sitting under the pop door ramp way up under the end of it in the dirt outside.

Back
Top Bottom