Broody had broken an egg with a chick.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicmom, Jan 18, 2012.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The chick was almost ready to hatch, and I came home to find the egg really cracked up, and a leg sticking out. The chick was dead. The egg was bloody. All the other eggs are fine and in the nest.

I don't know what to think! Did they accidentally (there are two broodies--very peaceful hens) break the egg and then get curious with all the blood, or did they do this on purpose and should I take all the eggs and put them in the incubator?

What would you all do?

Sharon

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    If they break another egg, then you might think about an incubator. It could have been that the egg was accidentally broken when the hen was trying to turn the egg. After she accidentally broke the egg, she then may have started pecking at it. It is difficult to say, though.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We tried two broodies together last summer. It was total disaster. It turned out they were actually fighting for the eggs when we weren't looking and in the process, all were eventually broken. We will never again allow two broodies together.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most of my experiences with multiple hens setting in the same nest have been similar.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well I just read your posts, and I suppose I could separate them with an equal amount of eggs, but today I saw two little fuzzy heads pop out between the broodies, so I think I'll just let them be.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by