Broody has been broken from brooding, how long till she lays again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyshanty, Jul 21, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I had a pullet that went broody and sat on her one egg from evening till morning before I found out. I took her egg & put her in the wire-bottom broody cage for nearly all of 3 days, having her sleep in it with a friend each night as well. SHe's not been allowed in a coop near a nest box for days, and I've not seen her sit. She makes the cluck-ckuck broody sound still but eats, drinks, walks around, etc. She seems to not be looking for her egg past the first day. When might she lay for me again? She doesn't feel "egg heavy" when I carry her.

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I'm wondering the same thing. It's been close to 2 weeks since my ameraucana laid an egg. I had to break her of being broody.
    I'm thinking she just hasn't forgiven me yet.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It took my girl about two weeks before she laid afterward, but that may have been because she went into a bit of a molt after I finally broke her. I fed her lots of high protein (eggs, salmon and such) to help with feather growth and egg production.

4. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info. I guess that's why silkies & cochins aren't valued for production [​IMG] Now my cochin's going broody too.

I have an "eggsaver" nest box. The egg rolls to the back behind a wall as soon as it's laid. In anyone's opinion, would this keep them from going broody? Not a silkie, I bet, again:rolleyes:

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My girls usually end up taking 2 to 3 weeks before they start laying again.........then after laying about 2 weeks, they go broody again [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Most likely not, since my broody girl sat on nothing for several days after I removed the wooden egg from the box (had already taken real eggs)... I think it's more the nest and nesting material than it is the eggs????

7. graceroxas

graceroxas New Egg

Jul 26, 2010
    Quote:My hen started to try crowing [​IMG] a few days after I broke her brood and started acting a little like rooster as well. Before that, she acted like she had a chicken version of the PMS for about 2 days. I suppose someone familiar with chicken brain biochemistry would have something interesting to say about this.

8. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Quote:Oh my! My broody did the exact same thing....she laid 1 egg after I broke her (which took 2 weeks...she was a stubborn one!) , yesterday went to the coop and it looked like she had lost a pillow fight..... molting.... she got salmon last night too!!

9. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Very timely post for me!

I think my Houdan hen has decided she doesn't want to be a Mama after all & after 3 weeks of acting broody as all get out!
    Last night - as usual forthe last 3 weeks - I took her off the nest and put her on a roost and this morning not only was she still on the roost, but she actually went out with the others {huge sigh of relief}

I checked her belly and it seemd like she was regrowing some fluff and feathers.
    She still crabbed at everyone, but not as forcefully as before.
    So hopefully her little episode of Poultry PMS is ending & soon I'll have some white eggs amongst the brown.

I'll have to treat her to some canned salmon - bones & all [​IMG]

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think it depends on the breed. My Silkies take about 3 weeks, but my Sussex only takes about 1.5-2 weeks. I can break my Sussex really easy, but I haven't ever been able to break a silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by