Broody has broken egg open and chick inside is breathing

Pics
That looks perfect! Is the heat light on currently? You want Hope to have an area of the brooder that is 95 degrees. Decrease by 5 degrees every week. Along with a cool part of the brooder, so she can move to that side of she gets to warm.
The thermometer says under the heat lamp is right around 95, the other chicks slept just on the outskirts of it and Hope slept right under it so hoping this will be okay. She has room to move away if she wants to. The air temp here right now in the day is around 85 so hopefully by the time she a week old everyone is in together and the heat lamp can just be in one corner with plenty of space for everyone to move away if they want to. The other chicks who are a week or two old outside with mama hens don’t seem to go under her at all during the day now.

That’s a good idea, she’s still not really goi nag for her food.. I’m not sure if she understands it’s there or not. She’s put her beak on it a few times when I’ve dropped the water over it. I just don’t know.
Are you offering it dry or wet? If its dry, I would make a mash like suggested earlier. Sometimes she don't need to eat for a couple days, thats how chicks are shipped from hatcheries, but most of mine have at least showed interest in the food. Nothing to be to concerned about yet, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Are you offering it dry or wet? If its dry, I would make a mash like suggested earlier. Sometimes she don't need to eat for a couple days, thats how chicks are shipped from hatcheries, but most of mine have at least showed interest in the food. Nothing to be to concerned about yet, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
I’ve made it wet for her, hoping she’s just not hungry yet. She’s definitely keen on water so that is a start. She is about 57hours since hatching now so not quite 2.5 days so hoping she is still okay not having much food but will definitely keep working with her

I’ve made it wet for her, hoping she’s just not hungry yet. She’s definitely keen on water so that is a start. She is about 57hours since hatching now so not quite 2.5 days so hoping she is still okay not having much food but will definitely keep working with her
Maybe you could try making a game out of the food too. That way she'll get a taste for it and will hopefully try on her own once she's ready.

Maybe just find a way to get her attention. Try "pecking" at it yourself and flicking it with your finger. Making happy "clucking" noises like other hen would when showing her chicks something good to eat.
My broody always makes high pitched happy noises when I replenish food, or fill up the treats to show her babies were food is. She'll the pick it up with her beak and drop it for them to pick up as well.

Either let her mingle with the other chicks,
or put edge of feeder under partition,
they will teach her to eat.

have been sitting with her for a few hours now, started by pecking with my finger and clicking as suggested 😊 this worked and she ate off my finger, then she seemed really interested in the other chicks so I decided to lift her over and watch what happened. She’s been in there for half an hour now and is eating and drinking with them and pecking the ground. She’s still a little weak and slow and is getting pushed around as they are VERY energetic. But she’s doing well! I think she’s ready for a nap though. Not sure whether to lift her back out or just let her learn to sleep in amongst the chaos so she’s not an outcast.. actually they are currently fighting about something one of them has found in the food so I lifted her out. Will give her a little break for now. Yay! She’s eating and acting like a chicken 😊

Back
Top Bottom