Broody hatches pine shavings!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Qi Chicken, May 6, 2011.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi all!

We have a buff orp that has been broody practically since she laid her first egg. We tried to break her several times and it would work for a couple of weeks and then she was right back at it. Finally kind of gave up and she spent many months just sitting in the nest boxes.

We gave her eggs this spring!!! And she immediately moved to the nest box that had no eggs in it and then she went outside. Now we are about a month later and she has been broody again since the beginning of the week. But we have 4 nest boxes and she always sits in the one WITHOUT any eggs! Eggs all around and she want to hatch pine shavings.

I want to start to raise some rare breeds and want her to be able to hatch them. Want to see what kind of mother she will be but so far she won't sit on eggs, only sit. She spends all day and night in the box. (and will do for weeks on end)

How should I do this???? I think she has just been sitting so long without result she doesn't know what she is doing anymore.

Should I take her out with some eggs and put her in a cage inside the coop? We have two big wire cages?

Calling all experts!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In my humble opinion, BO"s are fickle and all of mine have done that SAME thing with eggs. I usually fire them by isolation for a few days with no nesting materials and transfer the eggs to the cochin or barred rock that are perpetually broody.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If she was my girl - I would get a small dog kennel. At night, when she is zoned out - move her and a few test eggs into the kennel. Cover the kennel with a towel so it stays a bit dark for the next day or two - I would offer her food and water in the kennel. Hopefully this will "set" her into the broody zone.

After a couple days, lift the towel and see if she is eager to leave the nest.

When she does leave the nest for potty breaks (I keep food/water next to her in the box) - keep an eye on her, and when she returns be sure she goes to "her kennel".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by