Broody help! trying to get answers quick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaitie09, May 11, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We have a broody and want to get her chicks today. We found a guy on Craigslist that has polish crested chicks. The post was on May 6th so they 5 days to 1 week old. Will our hen accept them? TSC ran our of their last batch last week and I cannot find any earlier posts. We really want her to break her now because she is being bullied.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:While she may accept them, they will be too old and active to pay attention to her and she won't be able to guide them. I wouldn't risk it, but would put out a thread seeking day-olds on here- maybe BYCer has fresh chicks or eggs due any minute?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I also would not try it. It might work out but the older they are, the more likely you are to have problems.

You might try posting on this thread to see if anyone in your area has chicks available.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=248345

You can also talk to people at the feed store. They might know someone that has chicks available. Or try posting on Craigslist.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I just had a hen hatch last Tuesday. Only 1 chick lived. Yesterday I got 4 more chicks about the same age. Mama tried to care for them, but they wouldn't listen to her. They are now in the brooder.[​IMG]

5. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I might just put 5 under her and see what happens. Shes trying to steal eggs so every morning I go out there, there are cracked eggs all over the floor. I'll probably have to build a separate pen for her today so she can get away from the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by