1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hen affecting egg production

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cowgirlmommy, Jul 22, 2011.

1. cowgirlmommy

cowgirlmommy New Egg

Dec 21, 2010
    I have a hen that's been broody for the better part of this past year. She will take a week or two break and then go back to it for months at a time. We were willing to put up with her when she was just sitting on a nest all day but it's getting bad enough now where she is affecting the egg production of my other girls. They lay far more when she's taking a week off but when she is broody she's very aggressive with any other hen coming in to lay in the other nests. We have plenty of space and nests for the girls so lack of options isn't an issue. She also attacks my children and I when we go to collect eggs. We are pretty fed up with it.
    We've tried offering her for sale, separating her in her own small coup and run, providing her with young chicks, and waiting it out again and again. We are now considering slaughtering her for meat since she is beating up on my other girls while they are trying to lay and never really pulls out of being broody. Does anyone know if Buff Orphingtons make good dual purpose birds? She is a year and a half old and very fat. If so, how would I go about finding someone in my area (Phoenix, AZ) who professionally and humanely slaughters poultry?

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Have you tried posting an ad at your local feed store for a broody? Around here, a lot of people are always looking for a broody.

Or get creative and post for a 'live incubator' or a 'no power needed incubator' on Craigslist! LOL

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by