Broody hen affecting other hens

rbancroft

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Thanks to the forum, I finally figured out that one of my year-old BO's is broody and I have a few questions. It started with the constant clucking and fluffy feathers, and now Esmerelda will not get out of the nest box. Before she went broody, she and the other three BO's were each laying an egg every day. Now I'm getting only one or two a day. How does one chicken's broodiness usually affect the others? Are they also preparing to be broody? Or maybe there's a predator involved.

Tomorrow I'm going to get some fertilized eggs from the feed store for Esmerelda to sit on. If she's already been broody for a week, will she stay on those eggs as long as they need to be hatched? Thanks for your input!

The reason you are only getting 1 or 2 eggs is because the Broody BO is not laying, which is normal. I dont think you have a predator because my hens usually do not lay an egg everyday anyway. Hope this helps!

Usually a broody will stay the course and hatch her brood. Occ. a first time broodie will do unexpected things like leave the nest but it is not usual. Good luck with your new adventure. Gloria Jean

I have 8 hens here, and 'was' getting 5-7 eggs per day, up until about a week ago when one of the girls went broodie!
Now, I am getting 1 or 2 eggs a day.
The only thing that has changed since the number of eggs per day dropped off, is that one went broodie..........so, I'm thinkin'
her broodie-ness is somehow affecting the whole flock, as well!
Amazing how sensitive they are, isn't it?!?!
Now the question is...........do I try to break up the broodie, or get some fertile eggs for her to hatch?!?!
I'm leaning toward breaking her up..............................................
I just hope all the girls don't catch the broodie bug!!!!

Back
Top Bottom