Broody hen and babies

Welcome to BYC!
I've had good luck with introducing chicks to some of my broodies, however I've found that some hens just will not raise them if they didn't hatch them.
If you try again, make sure it's dark in the nest and cover the chicks completely while slipping them under her. I would not leave them alone with her until your sure that she has accepted them.
If she does accept them, she will make a steady clucking noise and if there is food available, she will began tapping it and calling them to eat. She may peck them gently to discipline them but she won't harm them.
If your chicks came from a farm store, they are likely 2 days old when they arrive. The older they are, the less likely it is that it will work.
It isn't always the hen that is at fault. If the babies won't pay attention to her commands, they are in danger of being hurt. She will instinctively discipline them with a peck or two to try and make them listen to her. Or, she may not recognize them as her own at all, depending on the hen.
Best of luck, I hope it works out.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
A picture of your set up would help.
I don't quite understand how they "escaped". If it was full on dark at night and you tucked them under the brood fully and removed the eggs under her (if any), they should have hunkered down as she settled on them. She should talk to them and tuck them under her. Stay out there in the dark and monitor for quite a while until you leave them and be out well before dawn while it's still very dark so you can act if things go south again.
Good luck.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
A picture of your set up would help.
I don't quite understand how they "escaped". If it was full on dark at night and you tucked them under the brood fully and removed the eggs under her (if any), they should have hunkered down as she settled on them. She should talk to them and tuck them under her. Stay out there in the dark and monitor for quite a while until you leave them and be out well before dawn while it's still very dark so you can act if things go south again.
Good luck.
I think when mama turned around they jumped shop and we’re not able to get back to her box😭 I’m so sad and disappointed and want this to work...

Welcome to BYC.

You can try again but I wouldn't leave them alone with her. She may not ever accept them. Try again but stay close.
So I tried again with one chick yesterday afternoon and it was a failure. I immediately took baby out after watching for a while. Baby peeped her head out and then came out from under mama and all role loose. Broody chased the baby, I fell trying to save her. Baby is ok and I put broody back with the other hens.. guess what? She’s sitting in the nest box with the other hens eggs...
:barnie

Back
Top Bottom