~Broody Hen and Lockdown Question~

1mommahen

Love My Cluckin' Coop
13 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NJ
Today is day 18 with 10 eggs under my broody LF Cochin.

I've been taking her off the nest once a day to do her business and eat . . . should I stop doing that now on day 18???

7664_broody_2010_009.jpg

Since day 18 is IBW, I suggest you leave her to hatch out the chicks. You could check her after all the eggs have hatched or those that made it.
smile.png

Is she a first time broody? I had a first time broody last fall and I would take her off the nest every evening to try to get her to eat and drink. I came home one day at lunch time and found her off the nest, eating ,drinking and pooing. Turns out she had been doing it all on her own the whole time so my intervention was totally unnecessary. I have a broody right now, lockdown begins tomorrow and I haven't bothered her once since I put eggs under her. (I am so proud of myself, that kind of restraint is uncharacteristic of me!).

I guess what I'm suggesting is to let her handle it from this point on; I think instinct will prevail and she'll do what is est for the babies. Good luck and keep us posted on the hatch
fl.gif

She is a first time broody. But she is in a coop that we split so she would have her privacy. She can't go outside but she does have floor space and her nest. I've just been putting her out because broody poo is so smelly, best she do it outside.

That being said, I think I'll let her out one more time today and leave her alone until after the hatch. Thanks for the input!
big_smile.png

I have been getting my broody off her eggs twice a day for 10 mins (On the kitchen timer).

I was going to carry on until I have pipping (Next weekend).

The thing is she JUST won't eat!!!! By giving her sunflower seeds, I think she is getting enough to keep her going. But she won't eat mealworms or corn!!!

Good luck with your hatch
thumbsup.gif

If your leaving the hen to get of the nest herself. When does she know when to go into lockdown?
She isnt going to know when day 18 comes around is she??

I'm of the "Let The Broody Do It Herself" school of thought. They seem to have a remarkable ability to gauge just how long to time their daily breaks depending on the outside weather conditions. They don't move as much so they don't need to eat as much. While on the nest they get in the Broody Zone and may not respond to treats being offered. I just watch them carefully and if it seemed they never got up or ate/drank -- evidenced by no broody poops, their dishes staying filled -- then I might intervene. They sometimes lose a bit of color but should still be strong enough to give you a firm Stink Eye if you disturb their set.

I don't think the hens keep count of the days, but probably begin their lockdown when they feel the chicks moving in the eggs, and hear them peeping. It's sweet to hear the hens clucking back to their babies.

I don't think the hens count the days, if so mine would have given up hatching a month ago (long story read my post about hens kicking my fertile egg out for details). Either way I this is my first hatch and I'm assuming that she will just know by the feel of the egg(s). After all she's the one sitting on it 23+hours a day right. 21 days is this Friday for us. I usual collect the eggs since we do have a broody and I don't want the kids collecting the wrong one. My girl is really nice about me collecting eggs but i was just telling my husband I think she knows it's getting close becuase she is starting to get a little rougher with me when i check for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom