Broody hen broke egg-chick died while hatching

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Our broody hen hatched out her first new family of chicks last weekend; 3 made it. There would have been 4, but one died for some reason while it was hatching...
idunno.gif

So after the first chick hatched, 3 more had pipped. 1 was peeping loudly and had pipped a pretty big sized hole. Then it was silent for a while and I thought it may be dead. So I candled and saw that it was still moving. It started peeping again so I gently put it back under the broody hen's wing. But apparently she decided to move it further under her stomach. So, we slid it under with her beak, but as she was doing this, she punctured the pipped hole a little and made it a bit bigger. I wasn't too worried, since the pip had only gotten a bit larger. So I left the egg alone for a few hours.
But when I cam back to check on it, I lifted her up and found the egg had been broken even more. The pip was still there, but the shell around the pip looked like it had been stepped on. I took it out and found that the chick had died a little while ago.
hit.gif
It was perfectly developed and everything. It had absorbed the yolk. It was still warm when I found it.
hit.gif

What had happened? Was the egg cracked too much by the mother and had it killed the chick? Was it just a common thing to happen with a first-timer broody hen?

Thanks!
frow.gif

You should NOT mess with the eggs while they're hatching! It probably got cracked too much from the hen trying to put it back where it was suppose to be.

Quote:
I know. and I feel awful because it was probably our fault that the chick died.
he.gif
he.gif
sad.png
Dumb hands; why can't you keep to yourself!?
barnie.gif

and it was just so exciting to watch them hatch; it was my first ever time watching a chick hatch in real life. and I know that that's no excuse. I will probably never watch our broody hen hatch eggs again because of what happened.
sad.png
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I know. and I feel awful because it was probably our fault that the chick died.
he.gif
he.gif
sad.png
Dumb hands; why can't you keep to yourself!?
barnie.gif

well now you know-but you didnt know before-so now you won't do it again-mistakes happen it what we learn from it that matters! Im sure youll refrain next time
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom