broody hen but doesnt lay eggs?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
My ancona duck is 22 weeks old and I think she went broody! Whenever my cat comes anywhere near the females nest box she fluffs up her feathers and hisses like a cat! Its scary to! But the weird thing is she doesnt lay eggs!? Has this happend to you? Is this a sign that she will lay eggs soon? HELP ME!!!

Last edited:
Im not familiar with ducks, but Ill try, and hopefully this will help you get bumped and get some better answers.

When did she start sticking on the nest? How long has she been broody?

Has she EVER layed eggs?

Maybe she is just gearing up to start laying? Sometimes newly laying chickens will sit on a nest for a few days before they actually start to lay.

Oh and Ive had chickens be broody on a nest with no eggs in it and they never layed any of their own eggs while broody. I dont know if ducks act the same at all.

Well everytime something like a dog or cat come near the fence, she will run back to the box and hiss then she gos back in the box for a while. But today I was out spending time with them, and the cat followed me and the duck just started hissing and her feathers were all fluffed up. It was really weird, and no I know if she has layed a eggs before. She was free range before this, I locked her and my other two hens up to see if they would lay so I could find them. But this is the first full day so maybe she does lay and I didnt see the eggs. And she just didnt lay today.

Back
Top Bottom