Broody Hen? Can I stop her?

except for the times I let them free range.
No, leave her in there 24/7 for at least 2-3 days.
I let them out about an hour before roost time, if they go to roost great, if they go to nest, back in the crate for 48 more hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
1596113851148.png

No, I'd leave her in there for 48 hours.
Then let her out an hour before roost time.
If she's goes to roost, great!
If she goes back to nest, back in the crate.
She has never had an issue with going to roost, when its time to roost she does, even while in her broody state.

She was in the crate for 48 hrs this weekend and I let her out once yesterday with the others. he was fine, just grazed and walked around. I put her back in the crate overnight. This morning I let her out with the others and she went into the nesting box, was pretty persistent about it. This was the first time since caging her that she has attempted to go back to the nesting boxes. I almost wonder if she is ready to lay an egg and doesn't want to in the crate?

She has never had an issue with going to roost, when its time to roost she does, even while in her broody state.
A truly broody hen will spend the night in a nest, not on the roost.
Maybe she wasn't actually broody.
I'd leave her out of crate all day, if she 'roosts' in nest tonight put her back in crate.

A truly broody hen will spend the night in a nest, not on the roost.
Maybe she wasn't actually broody.
I'd leave her out of crate all day, if she 'roosts' in nest tonight put her back in crate.
I will try that, thank you.

I only wonder what else could cause her to stop laying, sit in nesting boxes (get very territorial while sitting in them) and pluck out her chest feathers. When I had let her in the coop at night, I was blocking off the nesting boxes so that could have been why she was roosting instead of nesting.

UPDATE: Yesterday morning when I let everyone out, my broody girl was acting very strange and persistent on getting into the coop (almost like she needed to lay an egg)! Sure enough, I let her in and left her there all morning and she LAID AN EGG! Thank you to everyone who stuck by me and offered their help. I'm happy to report everyone is back to their normal selves :)

Back
Top Bottom