Broody Hen - Chicks Just Hatched- When is it ok for them to be taken from mama?

brandon00733

Chirping
Apr 25, 2016
Mid Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Hello we just hatched 6 beautiful healthy babies under our Easter Egger that went broody on us. It has been a couple days she's moved the babies and come off the nest however we only had her hatch the eggs to "break" her of her broodiness. We tried the separate cage and just made the choice to let her hatch. We have a friend that is starting her own flock and is more than willing to take on the babies. I don't want to cause any disturbance to our hen or cause any stress to her but we do not plan on integrating them into our flock. When is it ok to give the babies to their new home? When will the broodiness be done with our hen? First time doing this... thank you for any answers.

I take mine as soon as they hatch, otherwise they can become skiddish. Your hen may remain broody without completing the cycle by raising them too.

I take mine as soon as they hatch, otherwise they can become skiddish. Your hen may remain broody without completing the cycle by raising them too.
That's what I'm afraid of ... do you think it would be ok to take 4 and leave her with 2 to raise or do they know how many they have? I can always give them to their home in 4 - 6 weeks...

That's what I'm afraid of ... do you think it would be ok to take 4 and leave her with 2 to raise or do they know how many they have? I can always give them to their home in 4 - 6 weeks...
You can just leave her just a few, hopefully she's a good mom, some just like being broody. Those chicks left with a broody will often be more wary of people, and not as tame, though they tend to be more vigorous.

Hello we just hatched 6 beautiful healthy babies under our Easter Egger that went broody on us. It has been a couple days she's moved the babies and come off the nest however we only had her hatch the eggs to "break" her of her broodiness. We tried the separate cage and just made the choice to let her hatch. We have a friend that is starting her own flock and is more than willing to take on the babies. I don't want to cause any disturbance to our hen or cause any stress to her but we do not plan on integrating them into our flock. When is it ok to give the babies to their new home? When will the broodiness be done with our hen? First time doing this... thank you for any answers.
She will let them know when she is done. You will see her pecking them and ignoring them. they will also seem more independent, wandering further and further away in the days leading up to the "curb-kicking". My Bantam starts pecking her chicks when they are around 6-10 wks. Anywhere between there. You will be able to tell. Good luck with your chicks!

She will let them know when she is done. You will see her pecking them and ignoring them. they will also seem more independent, wandering further and further away in the days leading up to the "curb-kicking". My Bantam starts pecking her chicks when they are around 6-10 wks. Anywhere between there. You will be able to tell. Good luck with your chicks!
We are thinking about letting her keep two to raise for the 6-10 week period then letting then go with the rest. Do you think that will be enough to break her broodiness? We aren't keeping any of the new chicks.

Raising chicks won't break her broodiness, but when she is done with these, if she goes broody again, put her in a wire cage raised on legs without any bedding but with food and water. The drafts cooling her rear end will discourage her from wanting to set on eggs. I have heard that you can dunk them in some ice cold water but i think that's mean lol. If nothing works, offer to hatch more for your neighbors or help someone start a flock. I do that with my bantam who i have deemed hatching-obsessed. Lol. Good luck!

Raising chicks won't break her broodiness, but when she is done with these, if she goes broody again, put her in a wire cage raised on legs without any bedding but with food and water. The drafts cooling her rear end will discourage her from wanting to set on eggs. I have heard that you can dunk them in some ice cold water but i think that's mean lol. If nothing works, offer to hatch more for your neighbors or help someone start a flock. I do that with my bantam who i have deemed hatching-obsessed. Lol. Good luck!
Ok thanks this is good! So technically the friend that is starting her flock could take all 6 and she should be ok? I'm sorry I'm new to this! She's being a great mama but we only had her hatch chicks so she would get out of the box!!!

I would save yourself some troubles and give your friend all the chicks, than break your hen. It's true she probably will go broody again this year yet. I have some that in breaking for the 5th time since spring.

Back
Top Bottom