~Broody Hen Contest!~ Results on first Page

Quote:
I know, she was too good of a momma that she would't boot the brats out. I felt for the broody but she finally got tired of the BIG babies and sent them packing. I just thought the pic was way cute!

Aww I loved it that she had those teenage "babies" in there and was still mothering them. Obviously they loved mommie! Even if it was a touch crowded.

Quote:
I know, she was too good of a momma that she would't boot the brats out. I felt for the broody but she finally got tired of the BIG babies and sent them packing. I just thought the pic was way cute!

Aww I loved it that she had those teenage "babies" in there and was still mothering them. Obviously they loved mommie! Even if it was a touch crowded.

Thanks! She still roosts with them at night for warmth and protects them from the roo, he thinks they should be ready for mating and broody momma disagrees! She is too funny!

I've got some cute broody pics:

Here is Maggie the Campine-patterned-OEG (deceased
hit.gif
) and her chick Angela:
30083_maggie_and_chick.jpg

Here is Athena (Red shouldered Yokohama) and her chick which was a lakenvelder/OEG bantam mix (but was killed by a coon)

30083_file0772.jpg

And Daphne (OEG) with her chick Chante:

30083_file0530.jpg

30083_file0537.jpg

30083_file0539.jpg

30083_file0544.jpg

30083_file0386.jpg

30083_file0549.jpg

This is Diana with her silver sebrite/OEG cross chick-

30083_file0695.jpg

thumbsup.gif

This hen is not mine but she is my friends. I want her so bad. She is such a good mother. She had 9 eggs this spring she was sitting on at once and 8 hatched. Here is a pic of her and her babies. the pic is a little fuzzy sorry.

27219_broody.jpg

Name: Buffy
Breed: Buff Orpington
Extra: She started going broody last week, and I had to take the eggs from her. So I set her up this past Saturday in a pen with a Welsummer and a silkie egg plus at least now 3 of her own. I made a cardboard nest with straw on one end of the pen for her eggs, but she rolled them all to the middle of the pen to set. She is a good hen, but she has evil looking gold eyes.

16616_img_1471.jpg

Last edited:
This is our 1st time broody, Georgia. She's a White Japanese that's sitting on 5 eggs. She's such a sweetie, when I checked for pips she didn't even peck at me. We've hatched out one of her babies & she's soooo incredibly white that we've named her Snow White!
16560_white_japanese_broody_05_17_09.jpg
Here's Snow White:

Here's another pic of Georgia and her mate, Georgie. He always looks down at her like he's saying "Hey, whatcha doing down there??"
lol.png
Sorry for the sideways pic, but it cracks me up.
16560_white_japanese_pair_05_17_09.jpg

Here's another 1st time broody, Clementine. She's a Black Australorp who's sitting on 8 eggs. She may grumble when I check her eggs, but never pecks at me. She's so beautiful in the sunlight when her feathers shine the most gorgeous color of geeen. Look at how much she's puffing her feathers up! So funny!
lol.png

16560_broody_black_australorp_2_05_17_09.jpg

Finally, here's yet another 1st time broody, Speedy. She's a Brown OEGB who's sitting on 6 eggs. Unfortunately, she will most definitely peck at you, but once you start petting her head she practically goes to sleep, it's hysterical.
lol.png

16560_oegb_broody_05_17_09.jpg

This is my legally blind hen. BROODY!!! She is about 4 years old. As a chick, she was stepped on badly. After that incident, she couldn't keep up with her mom and I took her inside. She is a half silkie, part EE and who knows what. She went blind at gradually at age 3. She finds food and water by the sound of other chickens eating and drinking. I found her sitting on eggs!! Her family has a long history of extreme broodiness (she is a 3rd generation mutt). She doesn't growl because she can't see who it is, but she is definitely sitting. I want to let her brood, it will give her a purpose. She can't always see the eggs that need to be rolled under. I think she might actually hatch something.
23256_img_2522.jpg

Ondra's Seramas :

This is my legally blind hen. BROODY!!! She is about 4 years old. As a chick, she was stepped on badly. After that incident, she couldn't keep up with her mom and I took her inside. She is a half silkie, part EE and who knows what. She went blind at gradually at age 3. She finds food and water by the sound of other chickens eating and drinking. I found her sitting on eggs!! Her family has a long history of extreme broodiness (she is a 3rd generation mutt). She doesn't growl because she can't see who it is, but she is definitely sitting. I want to let her brood, it will give her a purpose. She can't always see the eggs that need to be rolled under. I think she might actually hatch something.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/23256_img_2522.jpg

She is just to precious Ondra!!! I am so glad you let her set. She's really pretty and looks like she's determined to be a mom!​

Back
Top Bottom