Broody hen day 21!

buzzannie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
Flower Mound, TX
Good morning!
I had a broody hen post somewhere else for awhile but I think it was posted in the wrong section.
We are on day 21 and all seems ok. We candled on day 7 and 14. We "think" it all looked ok. We saw what to look for online and did our best.
I had questions as to when to start the count down. She started sitting on the nest consistently at about noon on May the 4th. I decided to start the count of day 1 on Tuesday the 5th.
I was just getting antsy about the time frame! It didn't help that I read that sometimes you should be ready on day 20. How long can things take sometimes? She has been a great mother and I know she hasn't left her eggs for any prolonged time because she is separated and we can keep a better eye on her.
I want to try and see under her so badly, but have yet to give in to temptation!
I was wondering if I need to remove eggshells or anything like that? Well, if they are all healthy and hatch.
My sis-in-law and 3 year old nephew are visiting from out-of-state and are joining my kids in the excitement.
I know there are many stories out there of how things go. But being our first hatch, I can't help but be nervous!
Thanks for listening.

Hi! :) Try to take some good deep breaths and relax. :) If everythung appeared alright on day 14 it probably still is. While they CAN hatch earlier, they can hatch later, too. I know it's making you nervous but just be patient and I bet you will have some new chicks in no time! Good luck! :) Oh, and you can leave the shells alone until she is finished. Mine kinda kick them out anyway.

Hi! :) Try to take some good deep breaths and relax. :) If everythung appeared alright on day 14 it probably still is. While they CAN hatch earlier, they can hatch later, too. I know it's making you nervous but just be patient and I bet you will have some new chicks in no time! Good luck! :) Oh, and you can leave the shells alone until she is finished. Mine kinda kick them out anyway.

Thank you so much!!!
I am just too excited!!!!
Are you in TX? We are just north of Dallas!

Hello! Trust me, I understand getting overly excited! I think I get almost as anxious over my chicks hatching as I did having my children! :lau

I am in Floresville which is just a tiny bit South of San Antonio. :) Nice to meet you.

Oh, and you are quite welcome. :) Sorry, I have a 4 y/o talking to me while I type! Lol

Last edited:
Ok, so 2 have pipped and one actually made a hole in the shell, while the other one is only cracked. The mama got up and was clucking and turned around and started pecking at the one chirping. Right into the hole. Should I be nervous that she's going to kill it???
See...first I'm worried that it won't hatch, now that it's hatching I'm nervous I have a murdering mama on my hands.

Ok...so we left her alone!! And I walked past and heard a very definite chirping! It was loud and constant and the hen was resting nicely on the nest! I'm hoping this is a sign that she will be nice! Just updating...because not everyone wants to hear it from me all night! Ha ha ha!!!!!

Here's 3 fluffy chicks so far!!!!
This is so fun and I could just sit out there all day. Except, I have 6 of my own chicks inside to care for!! The kids are loving watching this all happen here. Life is a miracle!

OMG too cute!!! XD I have a broody hen sitting on 5 eggs right now. I believe today is day 15 and 16, as I have 3 eggs from Saturday and 2 from Sunday. I can't wait for them to hatch!!!!!

So we had 8 out of 10 hatch! She's done great at showing them around and letting them be all over her! It is so amazing to watch and we are so very thankful. I am not sure when to take the last two eggs out, I don't want them to stink of they aren't going to hatch.
And more pictures, just because!!!

Back
Top Bottom