Broody hen, day 23 and counting... *UPDATE-PIPS!*

Gypsy07

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
So she started off with eight eggs. I didn't get a chance to grab them and candle till day 17/18 or so, when I removed one clear one. The rest looked funny compared with incubated eggs but I left them there to see what would happen. Two days ago (day 21) she kicked out a rotten stinker. Today I grabbed them two at a time for the float test. I'd picked out three that were definitely moving a bit and three that didn't seem to be. Put the three good ones back under the hen and prepared to do an eggtopsy on the other three, who had now been floating in the bowl of cooling water for upwards of five minutes.

And then I saw one of them twitch! Woooohh!!! What a surprise!

I grabbed it out of the water, warmed it up a bit and stuffed it back in under a rather hissy-puffy-pecky hen.

The other two were one day 12 or so quitter, and one chick that was almost fully developed but dead with a large yolk sac and with a lot of excess fluid in the egg. It smelled pretty rank so I didn't examine it too closely.

Here's crossing my fingers for the four remaining little buddies out there under the sweaty wing-pits!

Last edited:
Im here crossing my fingers with you, Gypsy
fl.gif

Hi, ooooh day 23? Well it is day 19 here. She started setting on July 1st. Getting ready!!! I tried to incubate back in the spring and the rip roaring storms took my power out while I was working out of town:barnie Here's to the old fashion way!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Got baby guineas. They should be ready for the cage outside cause the chicks will go where they are now.

Quote:
Thanks! I had a quick peek in already today but didn't hear any cheeping yet. I shall mentally prepare myself for the inevitable puffing up and pecking and go check properly later this evening. I'm not sure how long to leave them but if she doesn't manage to hatch any chicks and she still stays broody, I have some eggs in the incubator with aboout a week to go and I might try to give her some of those chicks.

I also have some ducklings due this Sunday but I feel that would be almost like playing a practical joke to give her those!

Back
Top Bottom