Broody hen day old chicks

crazychick87

Chirping
Jun 20, 2021
So our broody hen didn’t hatch eggs (bantam eggs day 27 now). She’s been sitting over 30 days.
we got some day old chicks today, tried to put them under her and she swung round and pecked them 😔 it is still daylight (uk). I’m so worried she’s going to kill them.
everyone said get day olds so she will accept them but no such luck!
Any ideas how I can get her to accept them?
Thanks

Keep the chicks warm until darkness.
Put chicks all the way under your hen and make sure to remove all the eggs from under her if you haven't already.
I did this exact same thing for two broodys of mine that had been incubating golf balls for a few weeks.my tractor supply had new day old chicks for $1.00 each, so I got 4 chicks and put 2 chicks under each hen last night.
One chick kept separating itself away from the hen and had to be put back twice within that first half hour.
This is my hen Pancake with her 2 today.
20210715_173048.jpg

And this is Everest with her two.
The chicks are Amberlink breed.
20210715_173124.jpg

I tried again but this time showed her the chicks and then put them under her, she accepted all 4!
went to check on her this morning and they’re all under her with one peeping out ☺️
My next question (sorry lol) is will she leave them for a bit to poop like she did sitting on eggs? She’s in a make shift broody box at the moment and the others free range in the garden, I’m a little weary!

My next question (sorry lol) is will she leave them for a bit to poop like she did sitting on eggs?
I've never seen mine leave the nest after they start hatching until she brings the chicks off of the nest. That's often more than two full days. The hen seem to know instinctively to not poop in the nest but the baby chicks don't know that.

I tried again but this time showed her the chicks and then put them under her, she accepted all 4!
went to check on her this morning and they’re all under her with one peeping out ☺️
My next question (sorry lol) is will she leave them for a bit to poop like she did sitting on eggs? She’s in a make shift broody box at the moment and the others free range in the garden, I’m a little weary!
If she is on the ground (not in a nesting box off the ground) she and the chicks will be fine. She will start to show them what to eat (be sure you provide some chick food) and they will follow her everywhere. She will take care of her chicks, you don't have to do a thing!! :hugs

I’ve put some chick crumb and water in there with them. I’m planning on moving tomorrow.. hopefully! All 4 chicks have been out eating and drinking so that’s good 😊

Attachments

• 74014FD7-9A00-44E2-A6F2-97345E06D614.jpeg
    74014FD7-9A00-44E2-A6F2-97345E06D614.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom